Another Pipeline card update

Associate
At last! An update on the Pipeline card. :eek:

Short version: Still nothing to report.

Original Version:

Dear Members

Sorry for the long silence but lots of people were away during July - including me - so not much progress has been made. However, Pipeline has not gone away!

As some of you know, the first company we approached decided to 'adopt an alternative loyalty scheme' so that has delayed the launch. We are talking to some other partners but we are deliberately not giving out any new dates until we are confident that they are completely reliable.

There is no question of giving up; we have spent months working on this and we need it to happen - especially now with the outrageous prices currently being charged at the pumps. It may just take a bit longer than we all hoped.

The highly successful Dutch scheme which offers discounts on petrol gas and electricity took 18 months to get off the ground. We have a lot of members and a lot of support, so please hang on in there and we will carry on working on your behalf.

As we have mentioned before, we get offers every week of discounts on various products and services - mostly irrelevant. In June, for the very first time, we actually wrote to you directly with details of one that seemed too good to miss - a 20% discount on the latest Navman satellite navigation unit.

Some members - a minority, but a very vocal minority - objected to this, so now we have set up a separate page (http://www.PipelineCard.org/other_savings.html) on the website for any information, offers, or price comparison service that we think may be relevant to members.

Most of what we receive will still never make it onto the site on grounds of relevance but this way at least we can pass some of these offers on to you without being accused of sending spam.

We have also updated the site a bit - with the help of one of our members - as it was looking a bit stale. Don't worry, there still won't be any advertising, banners, or passing on of personal information.

Questions that are not covered in the onsite Questions and Answers can still be sent to [email protected]. You can recommend Pipeline by visiting http://www.PipelineCard.org/recommend.html and you can resign as a member at any time by sending a blank email to [email protected]

Enjoy the holidays!

Ben Scammell - Pipeline Card Founder

Soldato
So, its ture. They are selling other products/services to the huge potenial customer base they have gathered. What an absolute pillock. Im taking my name off the mailing list.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Nathan said:
So, its ture. They are selling other products/services to the huge potenial customer base they have gathered. What an absolute pillock. Im taking my name off the mailing list.

Yes, because they really are forcing to to buy that stuff, and absolutely bombarding you with spam e-mails.....

Caporegime
lol of course it was always a scam - as i said originally, if a petrol outlet wanted more customers, drop the price by a pence or two, why bother with an elaborate card based system designed by a 3rd party when it is simply not necessary.

the whole concept never made sense, and tbh it was such a clear scam to get your email addrss/build a database i cant believe how many folk signed up!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Nickg said:
the whole concept never made sense, and tbh it was such a clear scam to get your email addrss/build a database i cant believe how many folk signed up!

If it was a scam to get e-mail addresses, then how come I haven't been inundated with a truckload of spam, product adverts, etc?

It's either a particularly useless scam, or it actually isn't a scam. Either way, I lost absolutely nothing by sticking my e-mail addy in did I? :)

Soldato
Its blatant they are never going to get this petrol thing rolling now though. No, we dont get spam, we just get "update" emails with details of "great savings". No thanks.

Soldato
Nathan said:
Its blatant they are never going to get this petrol thing rolling now though. No, we dont get spam, we just get "update" emails with details of "great savings". No thanks.

Yeah, I knew things had gone to pot when the last update contained details of an offer on sat nav.

Soldato
So what if someone has a good idea, I hope it comes off, If they were trying to spam us then they would have done by now!!!
They even now have a seperate other offers page that has 2 offers on it! shock horror,so now the mailing list just gets the updates. You can take yourself off it at any time, I cant see a scam!

Soldato
Who cares, give the guy a break! If he pulls it off you will all be eating humble pie. These things don't happen overnight and if you are that bothered just take your name off as has already been suggested.

Caporegime
Oakesy2001uk said:
So what if someone has a good idea, I hope it comes off, If they were trying to spam us then they would have done by now!!!
They even now have a seperate other offers page that has 2 offers on it! shock horror,so now the mailing list just gets the updates. You can take yourself off it at any time, I cant see a scam!

why? wouldnt it make sense to build up as big and trusting database as possible before selling/spamming them? otherwise bad feedback will reduce the total headcount of the database and thus the amount he could sell it for?

Soldato
If he wanted to spam, he could buy thousands of email addresses for pence.

So far I've had one email stating that they're offering a sat-nav system. I ignored it. Other than that, the updates have given some information as to what is going on. As is said, you can remove yourself from the mailing list at any time. If you then continue to get things, then you have reason to complain.

For the sake of a single email every month or two, is it really that big of a deal?

Soldato
Because I haven't got any crap coming through that email account (I set up individual email accounts on my server for each company/service I sign up for, so I know if they sell/give out my email address, as that address will only be given to that individual company, and no others) and i get an update to my mailbox as/when anything happens, rather than having to continually check the website or other places for any information.

As soon as something other than those updates comes through that account, I'll be the first to get in touch with them and find out exactly what's going on.

Soldato
I mean...I have received just so much Spam since signing up to his site...oh wait a second, no I haven't - silly me.

The fact he hasn't managed to roll-out a card already getting us all 10p per litre off at the pumps means two things:
1. It is a scam to get lots of e-mail addresses and then not spamming them
2. It was obviously never going to work anyway, even though the theory is sound and there is no reason why it can't.

Just look at his name I mean come on - it has to be a scam.

*This message bought to you by the "usual suspects" and posted before anybody else gets the chance.*

Soldato
How can he buy "thousands of emails for pence"? He now has hundreds of thousands of motorists details, it is a lot more favourable for the companies who are going to pay him to advertise to us all. I was looking forward to this too :/

Soldato
This arguement comes up EVERY SINGLE TIME an email is sent out - and it's the same people who start it off.

Do they have your email address? Have you received any emails other than the infrequent updates? Has anyone forced you to buy anything? Have you removed yourself from the listing? They have sent out a *single* email about a *single* product in the last year or so since this first came out.

The Unsubscribe link is very obvious - I suggest you follow it if you don't want them to have your details - if you continue to receive updates after you've done that, then you can start complaining about it.

Soldato
Can I do a quick summary of the thread so far/ will only ever be-

Its a scam

I knew it would be a scam. Yay, go me

Oh well nothing gained, nothing lost

OMFG give Ben a chance, he's such a cool guy

OMFG!!!!!!!11 look at his name!!!!!!!

**repeat the above a few times**

To be completely honest, if you've signed up you'll get the updates, if you haven't you don't need to know. Therefore as all these threads do is cause arguments anyway I don't really see the need/point of them.

Caporegime
well thats not strictly true. i would like this card to happen, and would be delighted to see a news refresh on here saying that it has happened etc.

but i dont see the economic sense to it above and beyond any kind of storecard that shell/etc already offer? why would they drop the price by 10p for these customers on a 3rd party card and not off their own loyalty cards? i am sure they would make just as big a headlines, but with credability and win custom that way? why do they need mr scammel?

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Nickg said:
if its not a big deal, why not just withold your email until there is a service worth signing up for and then joining?

Errr, because there wouldn't be a service unless people give their details :confused:

I bet if it does get off the ground the sceptics will be signing up :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom