Things to check on a Clio Sport

Associate
Hi im looking at getting a Clio Sport 172 soon and Ive seen 2 close by to me im interested in both 53 plate ones 24,000 miles the other 32,000.

I was just wondering if theres anything in particular I should check for on them which goes wrong on these cars in particular once I get around to going to the dealership?

Soldato
I used to have an 02 172, and had only three problems with it.

1. The automatic headlamps stopped working (quick trip to the dealer to reprogramme the EEPROM sorted it)
2. It developed a faulty ABS sensor, which, scarily enough, had a tendency to jam on the rear brakes at the most inopportune moments (took the dealer 4 weeks, a lot of moaning and a threat to call Renault direct to get it fixed, but fixed it was)
3. It bent in half a bit when someone tried to wedge their motorbike under the car :)

I doubt the problems I had were typical of the car. All in all I was very pleased with it and loved it to bits.

Hav

Soldato
The 2 main things that went on mine within the first 6 months were the exhaust, and the gearbox. Exhaust is £300 for a cat back aftermarket system, more for a direct Renault replacement. Gearbox is £400 ish for a 2nd hand, but good luck finding one. £710 for a recon unit from Renault.

So yeah, make sure that there are no issues with either of those two things whatsoever as you'll be left with a hefty bill if they go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom