Thinking of leaving my work?

Soldato
Afternoon all,

Well, I've been working for a cell phone shop out here in South Africa for about six months now. It's been okay, until about two months ago, when my Boss asked me to help out over at his video store, until they sort out the shifts over there.

So, I agreed, obviously, just to help out. Now, two months later I am still covering there on the odd shift and the so called manager there is full of crap. He calls me up to work the next day, meaning I have to cancel any plans I had/have for the following day. So I had enough, there is also a whole lot of other crap there that really annoys me.

So, I was meant to work there yesterday morning, however I was needed here at the cell phone store as our guy who repairs the cell phones had to go down town to get some spares, new phones and what have you for the shop. We had customers moaning as their cells weren’t getting done either. He couldn't vie down there as I wasn't here on Monday, due to being at the video store.

So I phoned my boet on Monday night, asked him if he could come in on Tuesday to cover for me, so I could come out here to the cell shop so the tetchy guy can go get his stuff that was urgently needed.

So, he agreed, and I came into work as normal. Yesterday afternoon my Boss came in and asked why I wasn't at the video store and why was Bruce, my boet, working there?

I told him I had to come into graft here that morning as Sashen needed to get to Durban for spare for customers.

I then carried on to say that I was not happy working at the video store anymore, as when I started here I did not sign up for that and only did it as a favour. He told me that I have no choice in the matter. If he wants me to work there, then I have to work there. He then asked me why I didn't tell him any of this? So I said: I was going to when you came in, however I didn't want to have this discussion out here in front of customers. :rolleyes:

Doesn't make sense to me. He went on to say that if I wasn't happy with that, then I could leave. I'm seriously considering this now. I told him I am not happy about working until 9pm at night, when I am meant to be finish working at 5pm in the afternoon. He just said I can have the morning Monday off.

What the hell am I meant to do on a Monday morning? I would go mad as I haven't got anything to do. So he said I can watch some DVDs or something. :rolleyes:

Not happy with that. I will come into work on Monday and leave at three to go to the video store. He will just have to pay me extra of give me my Saturday's off.
And that's another thing: We're meant to be paid at a higher rate on Saturdays. Or any public holiday that we work. This doesn't happen. :mad:

I was meant to sign my permanent contract with company two months ago - My boss still hasn't got round to it, even though I keep reminding him about it. :rolleyes:

So after all the crap I've taken with the video store and some from this cell phone store, I'm seriously considering handing in my notice. A guy I work with is thinking along the same lines as well...

Not too sure why I posted this, just wanted to get it off my chest...maybe a little advice?

Robert. :(

Associate
The best advice on jobs is if you dont like it find a new one!

BUT check ure finances, other jobs and just general money issues before you leave, it may feel nice to leave but having no money for a weeks/months is not nice.

Soldato
Sounds to me like hes a typical small business owner and is trying to get as much out of you as he can.... ive worked fr several in the past and they always take the pee if you let them. If you can leave and go elsewhere do it.. i bet you will find that he soon changes his tune when he suddenly finds himself 2 staff down ( and staff he relies on ).

Soldato
OP
Boet is brother.
Graft is work. :)

He is a small business owner. I've just got off the phone to him now. There's more crap at the video store and he's trying to get me to work there more then what we agreed! :mad:

I am now very seriously considering handing in my notice very soon. Job hunting starts tomorrow or as soon as I can.

Consigliere
Ice On Fire said:
That's the problem, at the video store I have no choice aparrently. This is what has made me soo angry! :mad:

I don't get that bit. I think you might need to stand up for yourself, does mean risking your job perhaps but if you're not happy, worth speaking out.

=)

Soldato
OP
Scrap that.

I've come up with a new idea. What I am going to do is make a spread sheet of all the hours I've worked, then at the end of the month if I've done more hours then I should've done, I will take it to him, and tell him that these are the extra hours I've done. And he needs to either pay me for the over time, or give me those hours off when I want them...

Think that's a better way of handeling this?

Soldato
Ice On Fire said:
Scrap that.

I've come up with a new idea. What I am going to do is make a spread sheet of all the hours I've worked, then at the end of the month if I've done more hours then I should've done, I will take it to him, and tell him that these are the extra hours I've done. And he needs to either pay me for the over time, or give me those hours off when I want them...

Think that's a better way of handeling this?

Or you could tell him that you will work your agreed hours, and if he wants you to work any more, you will record these hours and expect to be paid for them. If he sacks you for 'not co-operating', take legal action.

Soldato
OP
Well, that's what I am going to do. Recording all hours that I am working this month. Which is 200 or so. And any hours that I do extra, above that, he must either pay me for them, or give me the hours off. If I show him the records that I've made, I don't see him saying no. As he can't. So we'll see. If he does, then like you say, take legal action.

Back
Top Bottom