19" widescreen, TFT, all-round usage, sub £200!

Caporegime
Simple as the title really, I need recommendations please for an August purchase.

I am after a new TFT to be upgraded from my Mitac 15"!

It will be mainly used for MS Office work, browsing the internet, and DVDs, but with some older games so that my 9600 Pro can keep up until I've upgraded at Christmas.

So basically I need an all-round performer that will offer sharp text (DVI a must please), reasonable response times for Battlefield 1942 and Counterstrike, and good colours and dark response for DVDs.

My current budget is £200, must be widescreen!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Associate
I use an ACER AL1916WS monitor, and although it doesn't have a DVI connection, the VGA has an auto focus button and is crystal clear.

I.e. there is zero bleeding between pixels. Text is sharp and focused across the entire screen. I'm sure many others will agree...

Although I do kind of wish I had an extra input for connecting a Xbox360 (when I buy one!) saving me swapping cables each time.

Associate
kidscruff said:
I use an ACER AL1916WS monitor, and although it doesn't have a DVI connection, the VGA has an auto focus button and is crystal clear.

I.e. there is zero bleeding between pixels. Text is sharp and focused across the entire screen. I'm sure many others will agree...

Although I do kind of wish I had an extra input for connecting a Xbox360 (when I buy one!) saving me swapping cables each time.

As above, great screen for a great price! How do i know? I have one.

Associate
kidscruff said:
Ever thought of picking up a KVM switch? Works very well for me.

Zefan said:
HANNS-G, there really is no other 19" wide tft sensible buy at the moment.
IIRC it uses the same panel as the Acer, has the DVI the op wanted and is cheaper. Sounds like a pretty convincing argument to me...

Soldato
Robbie G said:
But why is the HANNS-G so cheap? What's bad about it? There must be some disadvantages...bad dead pixel policy? Lack of adaptors? Short cable? Someone critique it!
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17592857&highlight=OcUK+Hanns-G

big, big thread on it there... just skim through the user views on it and you'll get an idea on the good and the bad points of the monitor.

only thing i can think of off hand (iirc) is that it doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping

Back
Top Bottom