Lian Li PC70 vs Antec P180

Soldato
Which case is likely to keep my rig cooler under load?

I have a new P180 sitting here but have been using the Lian Li for years (with 120mm fans in the top blowhole, bottom and back).

Am gonna set up ma new rig at the weekend with a Scythe Ninja cpu cooler and can't decide which one to give to my son and which one to keep.

Man of Honour
Quite an interesting question actually - In my opinion the Antec would keep a medium powered aircooled rig cooler due to the 120mm fans - however you have more physical space in the PC70; but you only have 80mm fans. Its swings and roundabouts really.

Soldato
With air I would imagine both would be the same, but due to 120mm fans the P180 would be quieter, not because of the 'low noise' part.

There would be next to nothing in it with temperatures I would imagine, very very close at best.

The 120mm fans in the P180 would mean it would be quieter at the same temperatures however.

The G70 V P180 would be the same noise but the G70 a couple of deg cooler, so I would imaging the PC70 being directly comparable to the P180, with the usual limitations on 80mm fans. :)

Soldato
Yewen,

Off topic a bit.
I have a G70 here and a P180 (building a system for a friend and trying to decide which case to use). Anyway although I prefer the cooling and looks of the G70, I actually found the G70 a fair bit noisier then the P180 with the same components and amber fans. I think the insulated doors and hard drive grommets on the P180 really dampened the fan noise and hdd vibration, something the G70 couldn't do without mods. However the gpu and mobotemps on the P180 are terrible though (something I found out myself a year ago). I think that case has a real problem with system board cooling epspecially if you are using something with heatpipes.

Personally I tend to agree with what you have posted in the past and think the Lian-Li PC7 is about the best case around for the money. I have yet to find a case that cools noticeably better then it. Pity I didn't save myself a few quid on this build and buy that instead of the G70.

Soldato
You could probably quite easily get the G70 cooling still better than the P180 at reduced noise, have you tried 7v mods on the fans?

Lots of little tricks to try, best thing I find with Lian Li cases is on a whole they are so simple, you can just change things so easily, resonating case? blue tac solves it etc!

G70 is primarily a water cooling case though, it really does cry out for a 120.3 rad.

Soldato
Yeah...I guess if I added some silentmaax enclosures for the drives, 5volted or 7volted the fans their would be nothing in it, between that and the P180.

I have another build coming up soon for a quiet pc fanatic. I am thinking the Antec Solo with an Antec NeoHE. It looks pretty decent with sound dampening on the sidepanels, elastic suspension, 120mm rear Antec tricool (quiet on low), and maybe 1x92 mm Amber. What you reckon ?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but did you see the fan shootout CustomPC did this month. They slated the Ambers and said they measured over 32db with major motor noise. Nothing kind to say about the Nexus either which got a worse review, although those over at SilentPCReview who know their stuff rate them highly. I am tempted to try the new Scythe fans OcuK have and can't decide between the 800rpm and 1200rpm ones. The 800rpm jobs don't look like they push much air.

cheers

Soldato
CustomPC said the Mirage had an alu front, said the v1000+ cooled poorly and that the S80 was mehish, got basic conroe info wrong...

I can go on, the mag has no standing with me at all and I would want someone to independantly prove what they say before I took their word, Ambers are great, end of really and Nexus fans are even better for noise!

Tell me, did they rate the 100CFM 14db 80mm Thermaltake fan highly from a few years back. :p

Case combo looks good, although I would always sway the PC7+ direction.

Acoustifan Dustproofs are what I would rate as the best fans about at the moment, stunning performance for the noise.

Soldato
I was using Dustproofs when a competitor had them 6 months ago, and I found them noisy on 12v to be honest and I thought the motor noise on 7v was annoying but that's me. Have you tried the Scythes yet or the 92mm Ambers by the way.

Heh..I think custompc mag gave a really good rating to a thermaltake fan in the current shootout. The sharkoons came out top !!

I thought the Mirage was a full aluminium front ?

Soldato
Nope, its plastic.

All the hype was someone at Custom PC mag probabably reading a spec sheet and talking out of their backside, as they do a lot if you take them up on things.

Waste of money for more than a light read.

Soldato
Damn...it sure is expensive compared to the Eclipse when the only difference appears to be a redesigned plastic front that makes it look like an ancient file server. What a bummer.

Soldato
Well ive been a long time Lian li case man but now ive changed over to try the P180 and i must say it`s a really well built case my case temp is 31c and cpu is running @ 27c as i have a Scythe Ninja Plus with a 120mm fan cooling my cpu.

The case is ideal for this as the top and back 120mm fans draw out any hot air from the cpu,so far so good all i can say is read about what case you want and find out as much imfomation as poss before you get it. :)

Soldato
I thought the P180 was pretty good too, quiet and very good cpu cooling, and I suppose the thick panels really deadened the noise. But besides the warped door which annoyed the hell out if me, I was using an Asus sli mobo with heatpipes and even using a front fan in the middle bay, and putting my hard drives in the bottom bay, my case and gpu temps sucked. I was always over 40 degrees with my system, and around 50 idle with my gpu's. No stability problems mind. But when I changed my case (Lian Li PC7) my system temps dropped to low 30's, and my gpu's to around 40 idle. The Eclipse was about the same.

Back
Top Bottom