New router teething problems

Associate
i use aol connection and im getting a new pc, so bought the dg834 netgear router, and then ill use a network cable using the ethernet ports to connect my new pc. i used to have the bt voyager 105 modem, which is very poor with conenction dropping every 20 mins or summat, my new router doesnt lose connection and is all good but i get loads more popups and im not sure how to configure any firewalls or change the router setup stuff to only let in the stuff i want. any help on configuring this router so its a bit tighter security.

thanks in advance

Soldato
Port Forward is always a good place to start for me when I'm setting up new routers ;)

They have good instructions for blocking loads of commonly used programs and services.

What router do you have anyway?

And what software firewall are you using?

SW.

Associate
OP
i have the netgear dg834 and i have norton 2003, zone alarm (free version) and nod32, as well as occasionally running spybot s and d. i still get loads of popups im am not sure if im completely secure.

Soldato
taz488 said:
so bought the dg834 netgear router
Sorry, didn't see that :rolleyes:

Netgears are pretty easy to set up and to make secure, try out some of the free tools here to see how secure your connection is atm.

What browser are you using; I used to have a fair few popup issues until I made the switch to Firefox/Opera, and I've never looked back ;)

SW.

Back
Top Bottom