Spec check - just a quicky - promise :)

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I'm speccing a Conroe pc for a friend. The key components are as follows:

Motherboard
Abit AB9 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
(I know the Gigabyte DS3 is same price but this is my friend's first time building and I don't want to recommend a board with memory compatibility issues)

CPU
Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - OEM

Cooler
Zalman CNPS9500-AT Aero Flower (Socket 775) CPU Cooler
- or -
Thermaltake Blue Orb II Socket 939/754/775) CPU Cooler
- or -
Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Memory
1Gb (2X512Mb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15

Power Supply
Enermax Liberty 400W ELT400AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU

I won't bother listing the remaining parts. I'd just like a few questions answered about the spec mentioned above.

1) Is the 400W power supply going to be enough to power all that + one hdd + one 7600GT + one DVDRW?

2) Are there any nasty things (other than questionable layout) I should know about the Abit motherboard, such as if it doesn't work out of the box with an Allendale?

3) Which cooler is most likely to fit on the motherboard I've chosen?

p.s. If you would like to suggest a change to the spec, please suggest something cheaper or equal price to what's there already.

Associate
G-skill RAM is recommended a lot around here, seems to be a bit cheaper & faster, although I don't think you can get just 1GB G-skill DDR2 from OcUK. Regardless of which brand you get, if the rig will be used for gaming I'd really say trying to stretch to 2GB is a great idea, very handy!

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Yeah G-Skill HZ 2GB was my first choice but the budget isn't there for it so had to downgrade to 1GB.

Like I said, I can't change anything for something more expensive.

Fortunately gaming isn't too big an issue.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
Will it definitely fit?

How easy is it to install compared to the other 2? I originally picked the zalman because it looks incredibly easy to install which is handy for a first-time builder.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd take an XP-120 or something like that. Im not fan of tower coolers, and for a 1st-time builder theyre a bad idea imo.

Unless you know what youre doing its too easy to make VREG and stuff overheat with them. Obv the TT BT is a better cooler than the Thermalright, but its mounting scheme is downright perverse... and its not that good unless you change fan/plug holes/lap it.

And everything else from TT is only good as scrap metal =p

Imy

Imy

Soldato
OP
lol I forgot Tt didn't have a great following on these forums :D

The XP-120 is excellent, I'm using it myself but I'm trying to lower costs with this spec. An XP-120 with a decent fan takes me way over budget.

EDIT: Just looked at the Freezer 7. Seems ok but bit reluctant to advice it to a first time builder because of the bare fan. Bad cabling (likely with the Abit's layout) could easily make contact with the fan. Its also out of stock and my friend is in a bit of a rush.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom