NTL Cable - What download speed should 1Mb cable give me?

Caporegime
Just sorted my new NTL cable account out with a hugely expensive phonecall to tech support (they'd messed up on their end) and was wondering what kind of download speeds I should be seeing with 1Mb cable.

Currently I'm getting OVER 1MB per second downloads which doesn't make much sense to me? :confused:

Caporegime
OP
tolien said:
You mean you're getting 8Mbps (ie 1 megabyte a second) out of a connection that's meant to be 1Mbps?

Yes my connection is 1Mbps NTL cable, but downloads are topping 1 megabyte per second, which is why I'm confused, but certainly not complaining :D

Caporegime
OP
ste_bla said:
over 1MB a sec means surely your on the 10mb plan?

I only signed up for 1Mb, I'll see what my bill comes in as at the end of the month :D

Edit:

Just tried a few more downloads, all are above 1 megabyte per second:

10mbak6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Very strange. You should be getting 120KB/sec - it seems they've put you on 10mbit by accident.

What cable modem do you have? I'm guessing it's an ntl 250. Log into the modem's interface by going to http://192.168.100.1 and using the default login and pass of root and root then go to Operation Configuration. I have the 10mbit service and my figures are:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

If yours are the same then you're on 10mbit :) It's obviously going to report that seeing as you're getting those speeds but at least it'll confirm your modem has the 10mbit config file. Just hope they carry on billing you for 1mbit.

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
During uni, I came back home for the summer and got NTL cable installed for a few months.

They never billed me for it. They never reclaimed their cable modem.

Best of all....

When I tried to get reconnected the following year they would not believe me when I said I already had NTL lines installed.

Back
Top Bottom