• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe decision, 6400 or 6600?

Soldato
In all honesty, I'm on a bit of a budget, and would like to know if the extra 100quid is worth it?

I'll be overclocking the nads off it with a 3rd party heatsink fan (scythe miné), so an oem 6400 seems ideal, and can still push to 4ghz? (according to the ram guide.. :p)

Or is this only achievable with a 6600... I cant seem to find any overclocks at all for 6400's, I know that a 6600 will touch 3.7 on air, but could a 6400 touch 3/3.2 on air?

Would the extra cache really make a difference for gaming and photoshop ness?

Thanks for help :)

~Psy

Associate
Psypher5 said:
In all honesty, I'm on a bit of a budget, and would like to know if the extra 100quid is worth it?

I'll be overclocking the nads off it with a 3rd party heatsink fan (scythe miné), so an oem 6400 seems ideal, and can still push to 4ghz? (according to the ram guide.. :p)

Or is this only achievable with a 6600... I cant seem to find any overclocks at all for 6400's, I know that a 6600 will touch 3.7 on air, but could a 6400 touch 3/3.2 on air?

Would the extra cache really make a difference for gaming and photoshop ness?

Thanks for help :)

~Psy

Don't think there are too many people who have a 6400 yet thats why there wont be many results yet. Speaking as an e6300 user i'd say core duo is a good overclocking chip. I've got mine up to 2.75GHz from 1.8GHz so thats a 50% overclock.

Not sure how much difference the extra 2mb of cache makes on the 6600 but i'd say IMO if your overclocking you'd be better saving the money going for the cheaper option.

Soldato
OP
I've found a 5300 do 3.5 on water/do able on air. By a member of ocuk,over on xs.

Saving 100quid and overclocking it a bit certainly seems appealing to me right now :D

Thanks for the post, nudging me even more that way ;)

Soldato
PieL said:
Not sure how much difference the extra 2mb of cache makes on the 6600 but i'd say IMO if your overclocking you'd be better saving the money going for the cheaper option.
I think the extra cache makes quite a big difference in some tests going by the performance of the overclocked E6300 at Anandtech. Past stock E6600 speeds (and with faster FSB) but still a good bit slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

Associate
If you're on a budget, go for the E6300, clock the nuts off it, and use the money for something else OR save it for when the cpu prices fall a bit in 6 months time.

That's what i'm doing. :)

Associate
A review I read today reported an average of 5% performance increase some times going up to 10% on some apps with the bigger cache.

Thanks.

Soldato
anyone got theirs then?

i have gone for the 6400 i did have a pre-order for a 6600 but i sat back and thought about it, come jan/feb when vista is out i want a new gfx card and a new cpu, so may as well save some money now and get the 6400 and clock it.

Back
Top Bottom