Building XP Setup disk from Windows/i386

Soldato
I don't know if this is illegal or not, but I need to do a repair install and cannot get my hands on a XP disk. My XP came pre-installed and apprently the OEM puts the OS files on the drive, under /Windows/i386 but it doesn't say if i can build a bootable setup cd (like a normal one) from it, is it possible to do it? In i386, ntdll.dll, regedit.exe,ntfs.sys and other stuff are there, will post screenies (currently in linux)

Soldato
Sure it can be done, however you may not be able to make the exact same thing as a retail CD.

I reccomend using a basic Boot Disk with CDROM support. You can use this to make your CD bootable using nero. When you boot the PC on the cd you just have to go /i386/setup.exe - or simular however I think thats right.

As long as you are using it on the same PC I dont see any reason why this would be Illigal, unless of course you used the same key on another machine.

You can use this to find out what your current product key is: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/downloads/kf141.zip

Chris

Soldato
OP
Mana said:
so thats what linux looks like!!! sorry for the random comment! :)
LOL. Thats Ubuntu Dapper (latest) with GNOME GUI.

I have fixed the problem anyway, borrowed a cd from a friend to repair using my code.

Back
Top Bottom