SETI Accused of Covering Up Alien Signals

Suspended
krooton said:
but as for them being more techonologically advanced than ourselves.... doubtful.

Why? It's entirely possible there's other life on planets, and that they could be more advanced than us. The universe is billions of years old....even if sentient life existed on other planets 200 to 10 million years ago they would have far surpassed us, if on similar technology advancement/evolutionary levels, bar other factors. We have only been around 12,000 years IMO or thereabouts (civilised levels, not our species). I would class us as higher than animals around the Stone Age.

http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/beginning-of-man.cfm

Suspended
Many people consider it a serious possibility that the human species will exterminate itself in the next 100-1,000 years though, and I think that it's very likely that people will be forced to move to a lower standard of living - with less advanced technology.

Given that, it's not entirely implausible that a species more advanced than us arose somewhere else in the galaxy, but reached their peak and went into decline thousands (or even millions) of years ago. It all comes down to how long you expect the 'age of contactability' to last in any given civilization. We've only had the ability to contact extraterrestrial life for about fifty years, and we might effectively lose it in another fifty. If civilizations only have that technology for a hundred years or so, the chances of overlap in time are slim to say the last.

Soldato
Its probably true but when will we know for sure?

I don't see what the big deal is with keeping this secret, i don't think the excuse of panic is very good anymore because as has been shown now many people accept the likelihood of life in the universe existing, we've seen enough ufo's and other strange things on tv and real life for this to be much more easily accepted so i just wish they would get on with disclosure already.

Soldato
I find it very interesting. I was watching a documentary about this signal detection the other day.

Could be true.

Permabanned
alien10axe6.gif

I got my copy.

Soldato
squiffy said:
Why? It's entirely possible there's other life on planets, and that they could be more advanced than us. The universe is billions of years old....even if sentient life existed on other planets 200 to 10 million years ago they would have far surpassed us, if on similar technology advancement/evolutionary levels, bar other factors. We have only been around 12,000 years IMO or thereabouts (civilised levels, not our species). I would class us as higher than animals around the Stone Age.

http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/beginning-of-man.cfm

Of course you're correct, we are very small in the big scale of things, but as a planet life itself began evolving very early on. Life has advanced and evolved, and evolution does not happen particularly fast. Therefore for another race to be so far ahead of us to send out a spaceship which would probably take a few hundred years to reach us, just to say hi, to HAVE that technology while we have yet to leave the main gravitational shell of Earth, I dont think is possible. If any life forms are out there, they would not be terribly more advanced than us tbh

Suspended
Granted the realm of inter steller space travels is out of our comprehension, but so would supersonic flight to tribesmen 5000 years ago.

It would only require a species to learn technology 1000 years earlier than us to be more advanced, and considering that humans been around for that long it's entirely possible there is a more advanced species in this universe (they might not have devolped intersteller travel) for example what if the dinosaurs weren't made extinct? Or any mass extinctions occured? Perhaps along the line a sentient lizard species? Or no such thing as religion? (that did set us back 500 years, at least if not more)

Soldato
The entire evolurtionary line is filled with what ifs, and I reckon i could safely say no evolutionary line right, no matter where it exists could go unflawed. There will be a million, more even, "what ifs" leading through ANY evolutionary line, no species anywhere is going to have an uninterrupted timeline. Then you have to take into account that for each of these whatifs, how many possible branches could there be, with very few at any point leading to life intelligent enough to master interstellar travel.

Suspended
But you can't say that alien life isn't any more advanced than us. That would be foolish. For example they might have anti-gravivity and fusion, which we are close to but not quite there yet.

Soldato
They may very well be more advanced than us, Im just saying the likelihood OF that, coupled with the likelihood that they would fly hundreds of years to POTENTIALLY meet another race, added on the chances of them ever completing that journey, is so ridiculously small it is negligible.

Man of Honour
dmpoole said:
If a Don deletes this thread then he is obviously in on the conspiracy and therefore OCUK as a whole.
OMG :eek:
I'd gladly oblige, but not because of any silly conspiracy. I'd close it because the comments made by Steven Greer are worth no more than a pile of steaming turd IMO. Firstly, he's a well-known conspiracy nut, and secondly, as pointed out above, he runs a rival programme.

It would also make my life so much happier if El Reg could actually keep up with events, rather than re-posting month-old news.

I have something of an advantage over most casual observers in this. I've been interested in the SETI search for about ten years now, including both SERENDIP and SETI@home. Indeed, the current 'director' of the SETI@home project (Dr. David Anderson) visited Oxford a few years back, and two members of this forum (of which I was one) arranged a private 'meeting' in a local Oxfordshire pub. :D

Oh, and I could also close it because it's a [thread=17595634]repost[/thread]. :p

Back
Top Bottom