Leon Cupra Vs Leon Cupra R

Soldato
Hi guys could someone give me the low down on the differences between the cupra and cupra R. I know theres 45bhp, and different rims is there much else, is the body kit much different?

If i dont go bmw this is my next choice so im wondering should i goto the UK for an R or get a std cupra with leather etc here??

Associate
The R bodykit looks far better, as do the alloys. The brakes are bigger and I believe the suspension is better. The interior is a bit sportier looking in the R too. I think the first Cupra Rs were only 210bhp instead of the 225 of the later Rs though.

A standard non modified standard Cupra looks very bland. Whether you want that or not depends on whether you want a sleeper or an attention grabber I guess.

If I could afford the insurance and the £2-3k extra I'd have rather gone for the R, but that's not to say that I don't really like my standard Cupra.

Soldato
paradigm said:
I wouldn't call the "R" more "tarted up". Its an altogether more raw car than the Cupra.

thats what I was getting at, there aint much the same, different interior/exterior engine and suspension/brakes. The car is the same, but its a completely different animal

Man of Honour
paradigm said:
I wouldn't call the "R" more "tarted up". Its an altogether more raw car than the Cupra.

I would. They are the same car - both are Seat Leons. It's just that one of them has slightly different styling, revised suspension, better brakes, more power, etc.

They are still Leons - the same car - only one is more tarted up :)

Associate
I love the look of the Cupra R.

I have been looking at getting one mysef but they appear to be difficult to find in the North East. Only managed to find one on autotrader and the only one in my local dealership was some what out of my price range.

Think I will continue the search tho but I have resigned myself to it taking some time before I find the right one.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
I would. They are the same car - both are Seat Leons. It's just that one of them has slightly different styling, revised suspension, better brakes, more power, etc.

They are still Leons - the same car - only one is more tarted up :)
Then you are wrong i'm afraid.

The Cupra feels nothing like the R to drive.

Man of Honour
paradigm said:
Then you are wrong i'm afraid.

Really? So they are not both Seat Leons? Odd...

The Cupra feels nothing like the R to drive.

Never said it didn't - they are completely different to drive, but they are still fundamentally the same car. It's like the difference between a Clio 1.6 and a Clio 172 - same car, but different.

Man of Honour
paradigm said:
Yes, but you would not call a 520 and an M5 "the same car". You would not call a focus RS and a focus 1.4 "the same". They look similar, thats about it.

You are rather full of the Cupra R's importance if you think the difference between a Leon Cupra and a Leon Cupra R is similar to that of a BMW 520i and an M5, becuase it isnt. But either way, yes, to 95% of the peope, a 520i and an M5 are 'the same car'. They are both 'A BMW 5 Series'.

The difference is more akin to that between a 530i SE and a 530i Sport. Which are both the same car, just a bit different.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
The difference is more akin to that between a 530i SE and a 530i Sport. Which are both the same car, just a bit different.

No not at all. The cupra R is as said a LOT more of a raw drive than the Cupra. The differences although not exactly immediately visible are a LOT more prominent than a bit of an appearance change.

Soldato
paradigm said:
No not at all. The cupra R is as said a LOT more of a raw drive than the Cupra. The differences although not exactly immediately visible are a LOT more prominent than a bit of an appearance change.

It doesn't change the fact though that the Cupra R IS a tarted up Cupra, whether it's rawer or not.

Soldato
to me, the cupra R and cupra are the same car, but the R has been indeed "tarted up"

you could say the same about the integra range and the ITR - they are still both 'tegs

Man of Honour
I give up.

The Leon Cupra R is a totally and utterely completely different car to a Leon Cupra in every way. Quite how anyone can mistake them is beyond me, they are blatantly polar opposite cars.

Back
Top Bottom