Some advice...

Associate
I am looking to buy a HD TV but I was just wondering what is the best lead to use for the XB360 (which one gives the best quality)? I bought the premium package so is the cable that came with it the best bet?

Soldato
I haven't forked out for the VGA cable, but I am using the component cable that comes with it into the back of my Samsung R73 TV (the one that everyone over in Hifi and video seems to have) and the picture quality is stunning. I hooked the 360 up to my relatively new CRT telly and the picture was ghastly by comparison.

Try the component and then beg or borrow a VGA from somewhere and see the difference. From reading around I don't think you'll see a significant difference.

Man of Honour
The component is ideal, usually has the better colour reproduction and less bleeding, but the VGA can be sharper, though depends on the TV and how good the compoent or VGA connections are on the TV.

Soldato
Official MS VGA lead is much better than the official component for me. Same vibrant colours, but a much sharper picture with less jaggies :)

Samsung 23" LCD TV by the way (same as the ones in the 360 pods)

~J~

~J~

Soldato
IceBus said:
VGA looks just as vibrant since the latest update ;)

Definately. Got a colleague who has a 32" Samsung HDTV with his 360 plugged in via component and he's just about to purchase a 24" monitor as he says the quality is far better! Have to agree, I'd much sooner have the crispiness of the monitor.

Associate
~J~ said:
Definately. Got a colleague who has a 32" Samsung HDTV with his 360 plugged in via component and he's just about to purchase a 24" monitor as he says the quality is far better! Have to agree, I'd much sooner have the crispiness of the monitor.

why doesnt he just get a vga lead and plug his 360 into the hdtv ? is what I do.. looks great.

Man of Honour
DaveyD said:
The component is ideal, usually has the better colour reproduction and less bleeding, but the VGA can be sharper, though depends on the TV and how good the compoent or VGA connections are on the TV.
My VGA cable offered more sharpness and LESS bleed at a slight loss of colour definition before the update. After the update VGA colours are almost indistinguishable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I use component on my samsung 32" LCD TV and it looks awesome although has quite a few jaggies though i find.
Havent tried the official vga lead yet, still in its packaging...might give it a go later tonight to see if its any better on my screen.

Associate
I have a sammy LE26R73BD. I'm using component now it took me a few days :eek: to get it looking right as the colours were good, but everything was kinda blurry / smudged?! Vga cable displays a great image overall but the colours do look a lot more washed compared. In the end after a lot of messing around with settings component looks amazing! and I just use the vga output for my PC with mame etc. :)

Soldato
Pac3y said:
I have a sammy LE26R73BD. I'm using component now it took me a few days :eek: to get it looking right as the colours were good, but everything was kinda blurry / smudged?! Vga cable displays a great image overall but the colours do look a lot more washed compared. In the end after a lot of messing around with settings component looks amazing! and I just use the vga output for my PC with mame etc. :)

I have the same TV, what settings you using? Im using defaults :o

Associate
I have everything documented. :p

X360 - Component

Mode: Custom
Contrast:83
Brightnes:73
Sharpness:10
Colour:45
Tint:N/A
Colour Tone: Normal
Game Mode: Yes