1st Step in updating my e39 5 - Angel eye time :-)

Associate
Howdy,

My 1997 e39 BMW 540i is showing her age, and in need of a face lift.

1081670fc0.jpg

My front headlamps are so badly pitted that you can hardly see the bulbs! Plus I have horrible orange indicators.

So a few calls and this lot lands on my doorstep this morning!

angel01qj6.jpg

angel02ke6.jpg

Hella OEM Angel eye upgrade kit, with adapter harness.

sidesjy3.jpg

De-tangoed clear side repeaters.

All for an amazing £319 all in inc delivery! If you have a BMW pop over to http://www.motormec.co.uk really really good guys.

Now after weeks of hot clear weather, I order some bits for the car and it starts raining! When it clears I'll go and fit them and post some pics :)

Now where did I see that sport bumper...

Man of Honour
agw_01 said:
They look good, although, didn't some of the E39's come with angel eyes as standard?

Yes - the 2000 on facelift models had them as standard. This is why they look so good - they were designed for the car from the outset and are not a tacky aftermarket afterthought like Angel Eyes on any other car.

The ones he has bought are Hella - these are the OEM manufacturer for BMW, so they are the same ones as you'll find on a facelift E39 :)

You do need Sport bumpers though becuase IMHO facelift lights just look wrong with prefacelift bumpers.

Suspended
I dont think my e46 comes with Xenons - how much do they cost and are they easy to fit? And do I need to declare them to insurance company?

Associate
OP
Morba said:
angel eyes are chav :/

Yeah on anything other than an e39. They are OEM and in the 2005/06 accessories catalogue from BMW. Fact they are available from BMW as an upgrade for pre 2000 cars, makes them legit.

I saw an e36 with chrome angel eyes - it was nasty!

oemov3.jpg

Same goes for lexus lights on anything non-lexus.

Associate
OP
Noxis said:
I dont think my e46 comes with Xenons - how much do they cost and are they easy to fit? And do I need to declare them to insurance company?

With a xenon upgrade you will need to fit, ignitors and ballast boxes. Plus it may need to be "plumbed" into your 12v feeds.

These are not xenons, they are halogen. It comes with instructions for both, and on the face of it - it is a pop out, pop in affair - with 4 screws. (ohh err).

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Where did you get that brochure? I need one of those :/

Pop into your local friendly BMW dealer. Go straight to the parts store and they should be in there. Lost of mmmmnnnnn toys and bolt on bits in them...

Come to think of it they were in the showroom and the service desk.

Man of Honour
If only I could get over my irrational fear of old stuff, I too could have a £2.5k 1996 540i + £5.5k in the bank to fix it/run it instead of an £8k 2000-2001 528/530 Sport :(

Your car is going to look so amazing for the money. When its done, it WILL look like near on £20k's worth. Considering what you spent, thats brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom