Conroe and AGP?!? build

Associate
Hey, I'm trying to make do with my x800xt AGP until the wave of directx10 cards come out, and I don't mind if I change my motherboard when they do.

However, the things I want include conroe, 2gb ddr2 ram, a cpu fan, an antec sonata II case, and a 250gb hard drive. (+dvd writer and floppy)

I've got a budget of £500.

Could you spec me?
I've been looking at the 2 motherboards asrock 775dual-VSTA and the asus P5VDC-X. They look similar, use similar chipsets, the organisation of the RAM slots seems different. Which of the two would you recommend?

Thanks!

Caporegime
why not wait for the dx10 cards to come out then upgrade? by then everything will be cheaper, you wont see much improvement in games because just now you are gpu limited because you dont have a high end graphics card

Associate
you sure the asus P5VDC-X. supports conroe (core 2 duo)

ive seen sites that say the asrock does but cant seem to find mention of it for the asus board.

if they both use the same chipsets and have full! speed agp(8x) i would probably go for asus asrock are owned by asus and tend to be used to release the budget models but as i'm still using an a7n8x-e im a bit out of date with the current situation with mobos.

lookin at getting a similar setup myself e6600 + mobo, use my 6800gs and 1024 mb ddr400 ram with it

Associate
OP
I'm assuming by by the fact the Asus motherboard has the same chipset and features, its the Asus version of the Asrock. Which is strange in itself. The Asrock is known to support conroe, so I'll most probably go for that. Its cheap as chips as well.

Psychosonny:
I'm not upgrading as such, i'm selling my old shuttle PC minus the X800xt and 74gb raptor, as I haven't got the use out of how much I paid for it yet. Coming from an Athlon xp2500, I'm sure I'll see a rather large performance difference. In addition, I will appreciate dual core and the 2gb ram greatly for multitasking and photoshop.
So waiting isn't really an option, as my shuttle needs to be in someone else's house by early next week :)

Associate
OP
I think I'm going for the following:

Antec P150 Case
Seagate Barracuda 250gb
Core2Duo E6300
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU fan
Asrock 775 Dual-VSTA motherboard
G Skill ZX 2gb PC6400.

This is to go with my x800xt and raptor 74gb. (waiting for DX10 before changing motherboard and graphics card)

How does it look, and do you forsee any problems?

Back
Top Bottom