Which Ram?.......its been a while

Associate
It has been a while since I have changed anything in my system. When I first built it I played with overclocking and could get the CPU running stable at higher speeds but I had to run the FSB of the ram out of synch as the ram I have didnt like overclocking much. I have 1gig of Corsair PC3200 XMS stuff in my system at the moment and at 200FSB it holds the timings in my sig ok.

If I try to raise the FSB much it doesnt like it at all, even if I slacken the timings right off and I'm sure i tried slightly higher voltage too.

Anyway I am looking to upgrade to 2gig of ram and replace my temporary OS HDD back to a 10,000rpm western digital one (last one died and me being dumb didnt realise it had a 5yr warranty!!)

So which 2gig of ram would be best to achieve a good overclock on my system and also hold tightish timings still?

Any info is appreciated as I have lost touch with what is good or bad these days.

Cheers

Caporegime
GSkill PC3200 ZX and the OCZ PC3200 Platinum kits are both worth a look.

On A64 there's not really much of a performance hit using a divider and running asynch. Either get some PC3200 with tight timings and clock it to about 220-230 ish keeping the timings tight, and use a divider to push the CPU speed up, or you could go with some PC4000 like the GSkill or Mushkin and push that as far as you can go 1:1.

Usually I recommend going with the first option as it requires less fiddling and still gives great performance.

Back
Top Bottom