so will u be upgrading to vista?

Soldato
what with vista being releaed to companies and businesses as early as november which means some people will have the chance to load it on their machines, will anyone be upgrading for winxp?

winxp for me atm does everything i need it to do and atm it is very very stable. with win98 u had to reboot after a few days because the performance would just go downhill, way down. but with winxp you can leave it on for weeks and it will still be fast.

but then again a new o/s is exciting and the new aero look or whatever looks swish. i dunno.

what do u guys think?

Soldato
I think yes; eventually. My machine at present does everything I need it to do, and I still need 100% compatibility with programs we use at school. An upgrade to Vista will come with an upgrade to my machine, which I imagine will be when it breaks, or if I have any money once my house/mortgage is sorted. I'd say it's over a year away for me.

Associate
I'm not that bothered about Vista to be honest. I'm running the Beta 2 and it doesn't really do anything I can't already do in XP. Infact I find some things about Vista annoying.

No doubt I will eventually end up with it, I would like to wait till I do my next system upgrade and hope that SP1 is out by then.

I think it will depend on the cost as well, if it costs a lot of money then I might not bother for a long time. It's not the actual amount of money or that I can't afford it, I just don't see the point in spending money on an OS which will do nothing I can't already do with XP.

The only reason I would cave in and get a copy any earlier would be if a decent game came out using DX10 (and I could get a decent DX10 card) or if a game I wanted was Vista only.

Associate
most likely not. in fact any new computers bought for clients with networks will most likely get downgraded to xp pro out of the box, certainly until vista sp1 is available.

at the moment i just don't see the point.

Soldato
I can't see myself upgrading to Vista in the short-medium term anyway.

I probably will in about 2-3 years when i need to upgrade my machine, I really fail to see what it adds to the mix, It's just XP with a fancy AeroGlass interface that you don't need anyway. I don't need DX10 as I rarely use the computer for gaming these days, HD/BlueRay no thanks! Plus all the DRM/Restictions/Activation is nothing but agrovation - and it's only going to get worse with Vista!

Associate
I'm planning to upgrade my pc anyway as all i have is a laptop which is ok but not very powerful. I am waiting to see what the general opinion of Vista is after its release before i plan any upgrades, so i shall be waiting until they iron all the bugs out before i take the plunge, but yes my next desktop pc will probably have vista on it

Associate
I'll move over when they stop XP support or when DX10 gaming is actually 'worthwhile'... whichever comes first.

Soldato
I can't see myself running Vista on my pc's. Although I have only tried a beta I thought it was horrible, it just seemed slow and more bloated than ever.

XP SP2 is stable, fast and very reliable.

This worries me the most:

WinXP Min Ram Requirement: 64MB
Vista Min Ram Requirement: 512MB

Although most of our machines now have 1GB+ Ram its still a huge jump and makes me think Vista will use over 1GB just for the o/s.

Associate
I've been running it dual boot for a few weeks now without any problems, but has already said apart from a different look XP does what I want and faster.

I do like Internet Explorer but I run IE7 on XP one thing that does irritate me is the version of Freecell the XP version is miles better and I play that in between working to wind down, for that alone I use XP more often.

Don
Chaos said:
Sooner or later we will all be on vista...

true, well this did kinda happen with xp when it first came out

but 98 was a shocker, fat32 is a joke now, and since vista doesn't bring much more on the data integrity side, you won't suffer if you stick with xp

xp does everything i want it to at the moment, bombing fast at playing music, playing videos, and loads firefox in about a second, also has easy backup techniques -like synctoy

one good thing that vista has, is removeable components (pre install), so instead of having to use a 3rd party tool like nlite on xp, you can just remove all the junk that ms think you need before installing :)

Soldato
Will definitely be upgrading to Vista at some point. I would imagine it will be this time next year. I wouldn't touch it straight away - wait for a few updates to come out first :)

Soldato
Mana said:
cant microsoft release dx10 for winxp peeps? :rolleyes:

Why would they want to release DX10 for us Windows XP people, when instead they can make it only for Vista, and thus get more money for those who will upgrade just because of that? :rolleyes:

M$ for you all over! :mad: :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've been running this copy of XP since Summer 2004 and it's still as stable as ever. I'm in no rush to install Vista just yet. I'm going to run this machine into the ground. An upgrade to Vista will come with an upgrade to the whole machine I guess. Next summer perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom