Why have a 74G Raptor?

Associate
This may be a rather obvious question, but when looking at people's PC set-ups I often notice that they have a 74G Raptor as well as another, bigger HD.

Can someone please explain the benefit of having the Raptor installed?

beh

beh

Associate
Its common for people to use them to run their OS and programs off cause its slightly faster. Also, if you have everything stored on one big hdd then its a hassle to reformat/reinstall.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply; that's pretty much what I figured after seeing the stats for the Raptor. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!

Associate
Well I got my Raptor cause it was fast, when Half Life 2 came out took 1 minute to load on a 120GB 7200rpm Seagate, but the Raptor did in in a minute..., anyway its not as small as you think, on my Raptor I have XP + Office, a few utilities lke Norton, CD Burning Software and Photo Editing software..and about 7 games installed as well as my 1 GB music collection and still I have 40GB free...

Soldato
What kind of real world difference is it between a normal drive and a raptor. I mean if its 1-2 seconds only for it being quicker then i personally dont see why to use it.

I mean how much faster does it take to get from bios to a finsihed loading desktop. And photoshop how much quicker to start that?

Personally i think ill wait for that ram type harddrive technology that is being developed. Fast as stick of ram but with storage of a hdd and is able to store info on.

Man of Honour
DAY_1985 said:
Can anyone tell me if theses Raptor Drives make much noise? I just want one for my OS, any recomendations of which one.
They are a little noiser than a normal IDE/SATA drive, mainly due to the faster spindle speed. I would recommend the OcUK Silentmaxx bay as it will help keep it cool and quiet :)

SkeeterPSA said:
What kind of real world difference is it between a normal drive and a raptor. I mean if its 1-2 seconds only for it being quicker then i personally dont see why to use it.

I mean how much faster does it take to get from bios to a finsihed loading desktop. And photoshop how much quicker to start that?
You'll notice it most in HD intensive applications, such as gaming, video encoding, moving large media files around etc. Tasks such as opening applications don't exactly tax a HD anyway.

Soldato
My raptor mainly gets used when I am opening and closing a large amount of programs at the same time.

Very speedy if you have a use for them, pointless if you do not. These days a high end 7200rpm drive is almost as fast as the 74gb raptor.

The 150gb is even faster, and continues the trend of faster than the 7200rpm drives that WD have set, still not comparable directly to SCSI drives mind.

Back
Top Bottom