Legal drinking age?

Soldato
I've been looking around on google for quite a while now, and I can't find the legal drinking age in Jordan.

I've checked on wikipedia and other sites that have a worldwide legal drinking age list, and I can't find Jordan on any of them.

Any help?

I know it's not like a few other Islamic countries that prohibit drinking - I've seen people drinking there - and some pretty hardcore stuff too, 90% in one case.

Associate
and the legal drinking age in Jordan is.......

YOU CAN'T DRINK IN JORDAN.

I've got a mate who lived there for 15 years and basically it's not allowed.

Keep it in your suitcase....or else!

Soldato
yeah, you can probably drink in touristy places, but as a strict muslim country their official line is probably never.

Soldato
OP
fanger said:
and the legal drinking age in Jordan is.......

YOU CAN'T DRINK IN JORDAN.

I've got a mate who lived there for 15 years and basically it's not allowed.

Keep it in your suitcase....or else!

I've seen huge shops selling incredibly alcoholic drinks though, and some relatives there do drink. :confused:

Associate
Lonley Planet says, 'despite the prohebitions imposed by islam alcohol is widley avaliable" in bars and some shops, suggests you ask hotel manager if you want to bring alcohol back, Amstel beer is brewed in Jordan apparently, there is no mention of age limits. :)

Soldato
OP
Ah, you probably went to the same website as me. "Stella Artois and xxxx (forgotten the name of the beer) are popular and consumed in Western style areas" or something.

I'm sure you're allowed to drink it. It's just a huge hassle to find out the drinking age. :mad:

Edit:

fanger said:
The OP asked about the legal drinking age...not availabilty...

The guy you quoted was the OP lol. :p :)

Soldato
OP
Fanger: quite conflicting views. I just asked my mum about it (she just came home, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered making this thread ;)) and she said that my 10 year old cousin used to buy alcohol for family parties. However this was quite a while ago, probably a decade now, so the rules probably changed.

I know there's no age on cigarettes (still the same laws now), which struck me as a bit odd since there was a huge anti-smoking thing that the Jordanian government did a while back to increase awareness about smoking.

Tbh, I'll just find out when I go.

Associate
Fraggr said:
Fanger: quite conflicting views. I just asked my mum about it (she just came home, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered making this thread ;)) and she said that my 10 year old cousin used to buy alcohol for family parties. However this was quite a while ago, probably a decade now, so the rules probably changed.

I know there's no age on cigarettes (still the same laws now), which struck me as a bit odd since there was a huge anti-smoking thing that the Jordanian government did a while back to increase awareness about smoking.

Tbh, I'll just find out when I go.

Best way to find out dear boy! - by going.

Just exercise caution and don't take the P*** by drinking openly on the streets of Oman, or you might find yourself a scapegoat for "Islamic Justice" - which can entail 100 lashes...or worse!

Soldato
OP
fanger said:
Best way to find out dear boy! - by going.

Just exercise caution and don't take the P*** by drinking openly on the streets of Oman, or you might find yourself a scapegoat for "Islamic Justice" - which can entail 100 lashes...or worse!

Ouch. I heard about the Indonesian guy that had 100, when he fainted (after 7), he had to have the other 93 when he regained consciousness.

Associate
Fraggr said:
Ouch. I heard about the Indonesian guy that had 100, when he fainted (after 7), he had to have the other 93 when he regained consciousness.

Sooooo....
In summary...go with caution if you want to booze...
generally...keep it to yourself...in your hotel room and don't make a fuss about it.
You'll be OK.

Soldato
OP
fanger said:
Sooooo....
In summary...go with caution if you want to booze...
generally...keep it to yourself...in your hotel room and don't make a fuss about it.
You'll be OK.

Jordan doesn't use Shariar law, I'll be okay. ;) But I'm not going to be drinking there, I'll be with family, and getting drunk with people related to you just doesn't do the same for me as getting drunk at a party with hot girls. :cool: :eek:

I'm doing this purely so I can bring back some hardcore stuff and take it to parties when I come back! :p :D

Back
Top Bottom