Network choice - help please!

Soldato
I am looking to get either an XDA Mini S or MDA Vario, obviously on either O2 or T-Mobile.

Just after some advice about which network would be the better option. Regarding the phone itself on each network - software-wise - like are there locks, restrictions etc, but also the networks in general:

I'd be looking at the £35 p/m 12month contracts in both cases.

At first glance, T-Mobile looks the better one as you get 100 more mins and 100 more texts than O2 and the roaming charges are cheaper (going to Canada in a few weeks). However, voicemail costs and there is no rollover or data allowance.

Any advice? :)

Associate
T-Mobile offer the best 'data' service - for an additional £7.50 pm you get unlimited internet usage on the handset.

O2 however; offer the best signal and also don't 'lock' the handset unlike T-Mobile.

Associate
Aruffell said:
XDA/MDA's are easy to unlock anyway.

Andy

But doing so would void his warranty if they ever found out (however unlikely that *may* be)

Also T-Mobile don't allow you to change your tariff down throughout the contract, on O2 you can change your tariff down after 6 months - good for if you don't use the handset a lot but are willing to sign up to a high tariff to start with to gain the phone for free.

I'd go with T-Mobile personally.. but that's because with that type of handset, I'd be more interested in the data side of things rather than calls / network coverage.

Soldato
garyh said:
But doing so would void his warranty if they ever found out (however unlikely that *may* be)

Also T-Mobile don't allow you to change your tariff down throughout the contract, on O2 you can change your tariff down after 6 months - good for if you don't use the handset a lot but are willing to sign up to a high tariff to start with to gain the phone for free.

I'd go with T-Mobile personally.. but that's because with that type of handset, I'd be more interested in the data side of things rather than calls / network coverage.

T-mobile do let you down your tarrif after 6 months.

Andy

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies :)

I do like the fact that the O2 handset is factory unlocked so won't be an issue using a 2nd UK SIM or SIM abroad as far as warrany is concerned.

How's customer service on each network? I've heard some say that O2 is a bit better.

As far as the data side of things goes, having never owned a pda-phone before, I don't know how much data useage I'll actually need. Going by my current usage, none...and the only thing I can see myself needing GPRS internet for is perhaps the occasional MSN.

The unlimited data is great, but is something I'll never use. And according to the O2 site, you get 100kb a month included.

O2 also do those text bolt ons which I could use if I find I'm using more texts than minutes.

Hmm... I think they would come in useful if I found that I was needing more texts and fewer minutes, I could downgrade tariff and add a text bolt on? (Is that possible?)

Associate
Aruffell said:
T-mobile do let you down your tarrif after 6 months.

Andy

Only on their 'Flex' 18 month tariffs IIRC ;) - he has already stated he's taking a 12 month contract thus that would be a 'Relax' tariff.

Six6siX said:
Hmm... I think they would come in useful if I found that I was needing more texts and fewer minutes, I could downgrade tariff and add a text bolt on? (Is that possible?)

Yes - you could do that no problem on O2; you can add a text bolt-on at anytime through out the contract, and of course, lower your tariff after month 6.

Last edited:
Associate
I heard the same thing about lowering on t-mobile deals at 6, but recently i believe that changed. Either that or it has always been lower on 11/17 month, thats what our systems tell us now. Does suck a lot!

Associate
Mr Sniper said:
I heard the same thing about lowering on t-mobile deals at 6, but recently i believe that changed. Either that or it has always been lower on 11/17 month, thats what our systems tell us now. Does suck a lot!

CBA to check T-Mobile's T&C on their site however here is a link directly from CPW's site.

T-Mobile is unable to move you to a price plan with a lower monthly charge or from a pay monthly price plan to a U-Fix plan within the first 11 months from connection - unless you have subscribed to a Flext plan and we have advised you to change following your 6 month check up.

Source

I hope you haven't been mis-advising customers Aruffell ;)

Associate
Thats very poorly worded from CPW the 6 month tariff check is done by t-mobile and if you are using the usage you have been given then they won't drop your tariff as there is no need to. Only customers who don't use it get to drop. Also CPW have no control over lowering t-mobile tariffs as they do direct billing with t-mobile. Saying that most networks are grey areas on tariff lowering now, even 3 have changed their tariff reduction time to 9 months on 18 month contracts (since 1st july)

Soldato
OP
Well, I went for the XDA mini s with O2 400 in the end. Phone arrived this morning and I cant stop playing with it :D

Waiting on my GPS reciever now.

Anyone know the cheapest place for a 2gb mini sd??? :)

Associate
Energize said:
If you need data, DON'T go with o2, their prices are ridiculous £3 a MB while t-mobile do a 2gb for £20 a month.
Admittedly, T-Mobile data tariffs are really dirt cheap. But you're not comparing like for like. If you use O2 data bolt-on, it brings the cost of data down to a reasonable level. £8pm for 5MB, £14.50pm for 36MB or £18.50pm for 75MB. Allowance rolls over for 3 months, and extra usage is £0.75-1.00 per MB.

Realistically, just how much data can you actually use on a GPRS phone anyway? Unless you're downloading pr0n over GPRS (as painful to wait to download as the embarassment of someone accidentally finding it on your phone :p ) or something similarly stupid, I personally can't see much more than 20MB usage per month. Perhaps more experienced mobile data users can chime in.

With a 3G handset, of course it's much easier to consume a lot more data because 1. the speed itself is so much faster, and 2. because it's faster, you're more inclined to use it more often. But with a GPRS phone? Well, I have my doubts.

and the roaming charges are cheaper (going to Canada in a few weeks).
I'm pretty sure that O2 roaming charges tend to be cheaper overall, but also remember than on O2 tariffs of £35 or more, you get ITS for free which knocks a fair bit off roaming charges. Also be wary of actually looking at the correct tables for comparison, as networks have a habit of making it extremely complicated to correctly compare roaming charges.

Caporegime
Well doing very light browsing on a couple of websites with pictures turned off I used about 10Mb for fear of using too much data, so If I was doing normal browsing I would probably use 50Mb plus, and that isn't even extreme. I was thinking about data only tariffs with them but for £18 for the amount of data I need isnt worth getting when T-mobile offer so much more and a free 3g pcmcia card for only £2 more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom