Ballistix failed again!

Soldato
Amidar said:
ram should be safe from been jinxed as i touched wood when i first posted. :D

:) I'd strap a couple of sequoia's to yourself to be doubly sure :) However if something bad does happen, you have the security of it being Crucial, so no trouble's with RMA

Associate
OP
Tommiho, try this

Try each stick individualy with memtest then do the BF2 test? That is does one stick or the other fail whilst playing BF2 single player? Usualy works for me!

Soldato
My set of Ballistix's fails in Memtest-86 due to an unexpected interrupt and it had 725 errors on test #6. Apart from that my PC seems to be stable :confused:, it runs Super Pi 32M fine but I haven't tried Prime 95 yet.

Is it possible to get a refund from Crucial even thought you bought the RAM from another shop? On average how long do their RMA's take?

I don't want to get stuck with another pair of these :(

Associate
mem test + crucial refund request

I ran another during the night, error occurred on the same address 0003e09b260 - 992.6MB so that is third time so far on same address. see link last picture
At the moment I am running test on one memory module to find out which one is faulty.
I decided to contact crucial due to repetition of same error for three times on the same failing address.
Guys is it ok to have some errors or they shouldn’t be at all? And what is procedure with crucial, do they test memory and after that decide whether to refund you or deny request? Do they change memory, refund you just because you ask them?
Thanks

Associate
Tommiho you should get no errors at all. Even one error can screw up Windows and corrupt your software and cause system instability eventually.

Michael

Associate
OP
Tommiho said:
Guys is it ok to have some errors or they shouldn’t be at all? And what is procedure with crucial, do they test memory and after that decide whether to refund you or deny request? Do they change memory, refund you just because you ask them?
Thanks

You should not get ANY errors but make sure you have some cooling, at least a fan blowing onto your Ballistix, 'cause they can get BALLISTERINGLY HOT :cool:
As for Crucial, ring them and talk to the nice people, they will give you fair and honest advice on what to try next or if you can safely RMA your memory. ;)

Soldato
I had 3 sets at the introduction of that particular bad set, all 3 gave clients the old blown up windows syndrome witin half year, all sets failed memtest and all rma'ed and so far they've been ok, since roughly 4 or 5 months ago.

Associate
Well I ran mem86 with single memory in slot and first module gave me 627 errors and number was still rising ... and second one gave me 6 errors. I’ll try to run a mem test on another PC but problem seems to be in memories, not in anything else (mobo ...)
Regarding to cooling I thought that it was something extra to cool memories, but I have a decent draft in my case anyway and this windows crashes syndromes turned up after 9 months of usage. So it roughly falls to the time frame when Ballistix tends to die.
I am going to run few more tests just to make sure and on Monday, Tuesday I will ring them up.
Thank you for help.

Associate
Well, I bought my Ballistix (2GB kit) in December 05 - it failed. I sent it back to OCUK nearly 2 months ago, and have yet to receive a new kit from Crucial, so they can't be that good on the customer service front.

It's getting a joke now. Fed up of waiting. I just keep asking and asking and nobody knows anything. :confused:

Soldato
Syntax said:
Well, I bought my Ballistix (2GB kit) in December 05 - it failed. I sent it back to OCUK nearly 2 months ago, and have yet to receive a new kit from Crucial, so they can't be that good on the customer service front.

It's getting a joke now. Fed up of waiting. I just keep asking and asking and nobody knows anything. :confused:

Thats not down to Crucial, more likely OCuk.

I bought mine direct from Crucial, I had a replacement set within 7 days.

Associate
My replacements were supposed to have arrived today but didn't:( . Hopefully they'll turn up in the morning. Having played a few games with 2GB and not thinking there was much difference over 1GB, i certainly did when i went back to 1GB (stutter,stutter). Need 2GB again, now!

Associate
Just to say a nice word about Crucial, that I received replacement in 4 days. And I am based in Ireland. And now to run mem test again. Looking forward to do that. :Oo

Associate
I have had the same problem with my ballistix. One stick is on RMA at the mo and i think one is on its way out now. I cant keep going on like this, if 2 sticks have went now i dont think it was faulty i think just un-reliable. the ram is still under warrenty, what if i phone OC UK and told em i had enough of this ram would they swap it for some better stuff or woud i have to keep the Crucial and buy some more RAM?

Caporegime
PyroboyUK said:
I have had the same problem with my ballistix. One stick is on RMA at the mo and i think one is on its way out now. I cant keep going on like this, if 2 sticks have went now i dont think it was faulty i think just un-reliable. the ram is still under warrenty, what if i phone OC UK and told em i had enough of this ram would they swap it for some better stuff or woud i have to keep the Crucial and buy some more RAM?

If the RAM is faulty then OcUK may well help you out, they sorted me out. If the modules are working then you're stuck until they die.

Associate
OP
New Stock?

PyroboyUK said:

Crucial say they have now fixed the problems so it may be worth trying one more RMA for both sticks?

Associate
After reading this thread, I decided to check my ballistix again, and guess what, they failed. They were only changed at christmas time, these are in the wife's machine, and only gets used once a week.

I'll call crucial up tomorrow, and I'm sure they will change them, but it's the hassle of waiting for replacements.

Back
Top Bottom