Windows XP Key Re-Usable?

Associate
I lost my Windows XP installation disc a while ago and hadn't realised i stuck the product key on the inside of my old case, which I've just rooted out of the garage.

So after buying another £60 version of windows :mad: could i have just borrowed another windows xp disc and used my product key?

Associate
IIRC if the original licence was an OEM one then no, it's tied to that individual PC and you can't sell it or install it on another machine. A full XP licence is not so you could use it again.

Zz

Man of Honour
zedster said:
IIRC if the original licence was an OEM one then no, it's tied to that individual PC and you can't sell it or install it on another machine. A full XP licence is not so you could use it again.

Zz

Basicly correct. Read the licensing sticky for more info on the legalities of it. Either way, you could probably activate.

Burnsy

Associate
OP
zedster said:

Hmmn, I'd be putting it on the same machine, the only thing is I need to get another HDD for it. You think it might work?

It's worth a try anyway. Another good reason to back up the discs I own :rolleyes:

EDIT: IIRC isn't there 2 versions of OEM? One that ties to a HDD when you buy them together and one that doesn't? I don't know how it works though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
nighoftheeighth said:
Hmmn, I'd be putting it on the same machine, the only thing is I need to get another HDD for it. You think it might work?

It's worth a try anyway. Another good reason to back up the discs I own :rolleyes:

EDIT: IIRC isn't there 2 versions of OEM? One that ties to a HDD when you buy them together and one that doesn't? I don't know how it works though.

One of the term of license is that the Product sticker is on the case of the machine, since you have changed cases, you are no longer following the terms of license, and are therefore running unlicensed software.

However, Microsoft can't tell this in activation, and so it's not an issue in that sense.

No, there isn't a version of the OEM license that is just tied to the HDD. The hardware was only originally so that you were eligable to purchase the software, and has no other relationship to the hardware then that. Microsoft have changed their policy on this now anyway.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom