FAO those who have trouble spelling.

Soldato
Since leaving school, using forums and chatting online my spelling and grammar has declined greatly. Part of it is due to lazy typing, part of it is due to lack of practice and reading.

Permabanned
"Ham I more than you bargained for yet. EHH.. been dying to tell you anythee, you ranna hear, cus dashes who I am this week.

Lying the brass, next to the moseeliummm. I'm just snot on your bedpost, but you're just a lie in a sohh. Drop a whore, and break a nail, we're always seeping in and we're seepy, for the wrong tea."

Fall Out Boy didn't need to. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I iz well wicked @ speling an gramer.

Once upon a time, I used to stand out with my amazing ability, well dyslexia, to get muddled up with words and sentence structure. These days it seems that I actually come across as much better than the majority. I haven't got a clue why so many people can't spell. It instantly makes me think that they are just not making any effort, and if they can not be bothered with the simple basics you wouldn't trust them with a job.

Soldato
OP
Samtheman1k said:
This the the point SPIE made a while ago when he receives numerous applications for jobs...

What's your view on this BTW? If you have one...

I think that my views are pretty well know around here but, for the record:

I have no problem with typo's or genuine dyslexics etc and I understand that a forum is not the same as a CV or application form etc etc ....... what does get to me is people who just can't be bothered or don't understand simple differences between words (their/there/they're etc) yet want to justify their lack of skill by going the " language evolves" or "as long as you can understand" route.
I could continue but I think that you get the idea ....

ps I'm old.

Soldato
Never had a problem, me. ;)

Seriously though, I've been considering proof-reading text as a part-time job out of work hours, as I can always spot spelling and grammatical errors a mile off.

It does make you look very unprofessional if you cannae spell or write things proper like.

EDIT: Just for the record - it's should have, NOT should have! Remember that!

Tru

Tru

Soldato
I find it hilarious when I see a person spell a word two different ways IN THE SAME POST! What the hell goes through your mind when you do that? These are the people that cry, 'I'm not good at spelling', as if they can't do anything about it.

Soldato
iCraig said:
"Ham I more than you bargained for yet. EHH.. been dying to tell you anythee, you ranna hear, cus dashes who I am this week.

Lying the brass, next to the moseeliummm. I'm just snot on your bedpost, but you're just a lie in a sohh. Drop a whore, and break a nail, we're always seeping in and we're seepy, for the wrong tea."

Fall Out Boy didn't need to. ;)

Lol have you seen that parody video with the lyrics in it that take the mick because you cant tell what hes sayin in the song? lol

Soldato
alexthecheese said:
It does make you look very unprofessional if you cannae spell or write things proper like.

EDIT: Just for the record - it's should have, NOT should have! Remember that!
Agreed. Should/would/could have really annoys me as well. Would you say "I of done something"? Of course not, you'd say "I have done something". Is it so hard to understand? :confused:

Associate
Inquisitor said:
Agreed. Should/would/could have really annoys me as well. Would you say "I of done something"? Of course not, you'd say "I have done something". Is it so hard to understand? :confused:

The thing is, I think that's exactly why they write it as "could have" because when you say "could have", it can sound a lot like "of" but depends on your accent really.

Personally I don't think there's any excuse for it really. If you're not dyslexic, there's no reason why you just can't learn the simple spelling rules. To be honest, someone could be of above average intelligence but to me if they constantly make simple spelling and/or grammer errors in their writing then I can lose a little respect for them.

Also every time someone uses 'u' for 'you' or 'm8' for 'mate' in anything other than a text message, Baby Jesus will weep. Seriously.

Suspended
"Only 24% of employers interviewed said they were interested in a candidate's class of degree and 14% in the reputation of the university they had attended."

...and yet graduates with 2.1s or above from the top ten or so universities still don't seem to have much of a problem finding work. Funny, that.

Associate
i think its important to judge what people write and not the way they write... however there are times and places for everything... writing without correct punctuation, spelling and grammar in the work place is not appropriate... and on the other hand chilling out on an internet forum where things are laid back, casual and friendly is not a place to be drafting a post as if it were a boring and stodgy legal brief...

Permabanned
But people talk about the English language as though it's a hard thing to do.

Why do people insist on that old saying, that on a forum it can be relaxed. As though the normal way of talking is, "lol cus i was laughin at da n00b."

It isn't. Normal English should be the standard of writing, in whatever medium.

However, with one exeception. Text messages. I don't talk crap in my texts, but my grammar will suffer as I try to shorten sentences so the message doesn't spill onto multiple messages and cost more money.

"Meet at the cinema, ok?"

Instead of

"I'll meet you at the cinema, is that ok?"

Associate
Rosbif said:
and on the other hand chilling out on an internet forum where things are laid back, casual and friendly is not a place to be drafting a post as if it were a boring and stodgy legal brief...

I think you're taking that to extremes there - decent spelling and grammer does not equal "boring and stodgy legal brief".

Suspended
elkdanger said:
I think you're taking that to extremes there - decent spelling and grammer does not equal "boring and stodgy legal brief".
But at the same time, it's utterly pointless throwing a hissy fit every time someone makes a typo (I've seen 7 or 8 posts of argument over a typo) or uses one word when they meant to use another (I do that all the time because I'm thinking faster than I type, and I have nigh-perfect spelling and grammar).

Associate
Arcade Fire said:
But at the same time, it's utterly pointless throwing a hissy fit every time someone makes a typo (I've seen 7 or 8 posts of argument over a typo) or uses one word when they meant to use another (I do that all the time because I'm thinking faster than I type, and I have nigh-perfect spelling and grammar).

I agree - I thought we were talking about people constantly misusing they're/their/there, should/could/would of, using 'text' language on internet forums where you have plenty of space to expand 'u' into 'you', etc. These aren't typos, it's down to laziness really aswell as the general lack of interest in learning how and when these different words should be used.

Soldato
JonRohan said:
Since leaving school, using forums and chatting online my spelling and grammar has declined greatly. Part of it is due to lazy typing, part of it is due to lack of practice and reading.

See, even though I am an avid online forum and IM user (but still in education at university) I still try and maintain a level of grammar and spelling. I just don't like writing messages like "Did u c the TV prog last nite?" as to me it portrays someone who doesn't really know how to spell or what they are talking about.

Besides, it doesn't take much to type you instead of u does it?

Rich

Soldato
spellin ain imporant ya knos bruv :p

I used to be horrendous at spelling however since starting university and being required to type decently I've improved a great deal i used to have to look at a spell checker for simple words such as barbecue(sp? :p ) but now i rarely use a spell checker :D

I think spelling and grammar and the foundations really and are the first impressions you make when sending letters and what not :)

Back
Top Bottom