• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best card for old motherboard?

j98

j98

Associate
Hi! I have an Asus P4T533-C motherboard with a Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4200.

Does anybody know what is the best possible card that will work with this motherboard? Would it offer much of a performance increase? I only really play WoW lately but I have to turn the graphics down quite a bit for it to run properly. Is this likely to be a limitation of the Ti4200 or the 2.26ghz cpu?

I'm hoping there's a card available that will squeeze a bit more life out of my poor old pc!

Man of Honour
I'd have thought WoW was quite CPU and memory intensive, but anyway, anything like a 9700 Pro or above would be a good boost and suitable for the P4. I don't think I'd go for anything better than an X800 / 6800 for that CPU, even a 6600 GT would be pretty good or an X800 Pro/GTO.

There are 7600 series cards on AGP soon too which'd also be worth a look, not sure how far away they are though, but (hopefully) will be good value.

j98

j98

Associate
OP
What about these?

Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2 AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-116-SP)

Sapphire X1600 Pro 512MB DDR2 AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-120-SP)

Would they be any good? Does anyone know if they support agp4x? I can't find out if they are both 4x and 8x or whether they come in two separate configurations??

:confused:

Soldato
Search the forums.

X1600 are not classed as being very good, though i've no personal experience.

I'm not sure how much you're looking at for a decent AGP card, but if i had to advise, then i'd say save the money and spend it on an overall upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom