Want to buy a 530sport. Oh fox will love this.

Soldato
Right I have recently split up with my long term bird(8.5yrs) ouch, and me house has been sold. So in about 8 weeks time I'll be looking for a new motor and quite probably due to fox's continual rantings I fancy a BMW 530sport.

Top budget will be about 12k probably don't want to spend less than 9k.

So what can I get, what do I need to know and look out for?

Basically i'm ditching my V6 GhiaX Mondeo with RSAP because I want something with a bit more class for pulling all the new skirt I'll be chasing lol.

Any other car suggestions that fit that pattern would also be welcome, but i'm certainly a man who likes a big cruiser so bear that in mind.

Man of Honour
If you have that sort of budget and don't mind an Automatic you should be able to get quite a nice one without too much issue, rather unlike fussy old me with my manual gearbox obsession.

Your budget is enough to get you 2001 and higher mileage 2002 cars with automatic gearboxes. They are still not exactly common, but you shouldnt have an awful lot of bother getting hold of one.

Only really worthy upgrade from an RSAP Ghia X, imho ;)

You could consider a 330i Sport as well.

Man of Honour
Something like this, at £12500, would be nice..

2003/03:

Lg116955-01.jpg

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
Basically i'm ditching my V6 GhiaX Mondeo with RSAP because I want something with a bit more class for pulling all the new skirt I'll be chasing lol.

E39s pull skirt where you live? We should organise a motors meet there :p

Caporegime
pinkaardvark said:
Any other car suggestions that fit that pattern would also be welcome, but i'm certainly a man who likes a big cruiser so bear that in mind.

Can't resist these suggestions!

e38 728i / 740i / 750i.

All the qualities of the five but with much more space.

main.php

:)

Last edited:
Permabanned
pinkaardvark said:
Audi A4 cab for skirt imo, not a boring BMW. A car whereby the person doesnt have to understand the numbers on the back of the boot for them to know that its a decent car.

Man of Honour
R124/LA420 said:
All the qualities of the five but with much more space.

But a more dated look due to the fact its an older, E32 based design, inferior handling, a slightly more dated interior and the slight whiff of Bolton based Carpet Depot Manager that comes with the need to purchase the hugest possible BMW ever ;)

Is there anyone here who can say the E38 pictured here is as modern looking as the E39 pictured here? ;)

Soldato
willd58 said:
Audi A4 cab for skirt imo, not a boring BMW. A car whereby the person doesnt have to understand the numbers on the back of the boot for them to know that its a decent car.

If he got the A4 cab he'd have more joy picking up guys ;)

Soldato
media

2002 BMW 530i Sport Manual,
02 reg. 81000 miles, metallic black, 1 owner, FBMWSH, last service at 76k, genuine M sport model, facelift, fully loaded, very well maintained, VGC. £9,400
Telephone: 07886 554369
Price: £9,400

media

2002 02 Reg BMW 5 SERIES 3.0 530i SE
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 56,000 miles, Blue, Manual, ABS, AirCon / Climate, Alloys, CD Player, Central Locking, Driver Airbag, Electric Windows and Mirrors, Leather Trim, PAS. Web: www.whitehillscarcentre.co.uk. E-mail: [email protected]. £9,995.

Whitehills Car Centre

Tel: (01253) 696111
Price: £9,995

BeatMaster :D

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
But a more dated look due to the fact its an older, E32 based design, inferior handling, a slightly more dated interior and the slight whiff of Bolton based Carpet Depot Manager that comes with the need to purchase the hugest possible BMW ever ;)

Is there anyone here who can say the E38 pictured here is as modern looking as the E39 pictured here? ;)

I'm not sure the e38 is based on the e32 you know..... :confused: - I think you'll find the e38 was actually the platform for much of the e39. - I'd be interested to read otherwise though mate.

As for the looks, my car posted above is a 1998 model, if you'd be so kind as to find some back to back images of the e38 / e39 you'll find (to my eyes) they look equally dated when compared to the later models.

The later cars in both e38 & e39 form, imo, certainly look more modern. :)

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

I love 5 series BMWs, but R124/LA420's 728 looks far nicer than that 530 sport. OK it’s maybe not as modern looking, but it does look much more refined and it’s somewhat more timeless than an angry looking 5 series.

I know what you mean about the ‘Carpet Depot Manager’ problem, but these days all BMWs have an image problem and at least 7 series BMWs aren’t as common as 5 series. You also mentioned handling, nobody will ever buy a 7 series because of how they handle just like no-one will buy a sporty 2 door coupe based on rear legroom and the number of TVs in the back, people want different things in cars.

Finally as for attracting the opposite sex, buy an old Citroen, you’d be amazed how many intoxicated young ladies try and jump in your car when you try to stop at the traffic lights in your local town centre around kicking out time…

Man of Honour
Nickg said:
7's do look a bit more special than a 5 though despite the drawbacks!

In what way? Maybe it's the dated looking non-angel eye headlights? Or perhaps the bog standard 1996 E39 style SE front bumper? Maybe its the E34 5 Series style roofline? ;) Or perhaps the regular, non LED rear lights ;)

Caporegime
CypherPunk said:
I know what you mean about the ‘Carpet Depot Manager’ problem, but these days all BMWs have an image problem and at least 7 series BMWs aren’t as common as 5 series. You also mentioned handling, nobody will ever buy a 7 series because of how they handle just like no-one will buy a sporty 2 door coupe based on rear legroom and the number of TVs in the back, people want different things in cars.
LOL in my case its more 'Truck driver' problem! :o :D

I love the rarity of my e38 (I hav'nt seen another black one in Stoke yet!) that said, I do love the way mine handles, its incredible for a near 2 ton car! that said, I did'nt buy it as a sports car, its a luxury car that practically drives itself, just the job after a week in an articulated truck I can tell you.

Its party piece is its ability to blast along twisty roads with surprising ease whilst still being very quiet & refined, back to back, I prefer it over my old mans e39 528i but it is most definately each to his / her own.

P.S. Have you tried an e38 yet Fox? I had'nt considered one until I tried a friends 740i, subsequently, I ditched the idea of an e39 and got the car I have now. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ok, some more fair pictures comparing the sort of E39 and the sort of E38 you would get for £12000:

Front view:

E39:

Lg116955-01.jpg

E38:

IMG_6180.jpg

Rear view:

E39:

Lg116955-05.jpg

E38:

IMG_6176.jpg

Ignore the wheels, most of the 2002-2003 E39's have exactly the same wheels as that 7, I just couldn't find a high res pic. The 7 is a US spec one - the UK one has clear front lights.

BMW's have a bad image as it is, but the 3 and the 7 even more so. The chavs go for a 3 to get a SPORT BIMMER INNIT LOL whereas the Scrap Depot Managers and Discount Carpet Warehouse managers think NEED A HUGE BIG LUXURY CAR HELL YEA and buy a 7.

Leaving the 5 somewhere in between, which is nice. Obivously I know it's only a matter of time before the 5 goes the same way, but even now there isnt half as many wideboy E34 previous gen 5's around..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom