focus v bora

Associate
As I said in my other thread I'm looking for a diesel focus typr car with a good level of comfort.

I've taken to having a look at the VW Bora, how does this stack up against the focus?

ta!

Soldato
MK1 Focus?

Bora looks nicer (opinion)
Bora has better interior (fact)
Bora has mahoosive boot (fact)

Focus apparently handles better (3rd party comments)
Focus hatch is more practical for loading bulky items (fact)
Focus will be better value for money (fact)

No idea on relative performance as I avoid diesels.

Have had lots of Focus hire cars, from 1.6 Zetec to ST170s and have never liked them - it's the interior that always puts me off, feels cheap and nasty.

With a budget of £5800 I think the Ford might be more suitable, Boras are cheaper than Golfs, but not hugely.

Last edited:
Associate
Von Luck said:
Have had lots of Focus hire cars, from 1.6 Zetec to ST170s and have never liked them - it's the interior that always puts me off, feels cheap and nasty.

With a budget of £5800 I think the Ford might be more suitable, Boras are cheaper than Golfs, but not hugely.

I had a Focus hire car earlier this week. It was a 1.6 LX, it was underpowered and gave me the distinct feeling that I was driving a scaled down transit van.

Man of Honour
Look at a Seat Toledo instead. All of the benefits of a Bora, without paying a premium becuase some people think VW is a prestige badge when it isnt.

Seat Toledos are great.

Soldato
It all depends on what you can within budget. We had a focus but I never really liked it. As said the interior isn't the best.

I love the look of the Bora's, can you get them REVO'd?

Fox makes a good point, Toledo's are good choice.

Man of Honour
Technically speaking, the Focus is an excellent car. It is very good value for more compared with the Golf, the build quality is acceptable, it is very reliable indeed, there is a fantastic range of engines and the car handles far better than a car of this type ever needs to - it really rewards the driver. And although people think they look dull thats only becuase they are everywhere - it was a real breakthrough in terms of radical styling when it came out.

Unfortunately, however, the Focus has one rather big problem.

The interior was designed by somebody who had clearly been out on the beers the night before. Sure, functionally its all there, the materials quality is fine, etc etc but... OMG, what happened to the styling? It's wacky and I hate the way the dash doesn't flow into the centre console/handbrake area.

It's enough to understandably put people off what is otherwise surely by far the best car of its type.

Associate
OP
Hmmm think I'll have a look at some toledo's!

I've spotted a low milage focus ghia I can afford, problem is that its the saloon and it ain't pretty!

Thanks for the advice!

Man of Honour
dafadau said:
Hmmm think I'll have a look at some toledo's!

Worth a look - it's a Leon with a boot, which itself is a Golf based car. Toledos tend to be higher specification than Leons, and have been around a bit longer so there are cheaper ones around.

Soldato
Only downsides with the Toledo is that it looks a bit mongy and the interior isn't quite as nice as the equivalent VW. Other than that, great car.

Man of Honour
Von Luck said:
Only downsides with the Toledo is that it looks a bit mongy and the interior isn't quite as nice as the equivalent VW. Other than that, great car.

I thought it had pretty much the same interior? I'm sure it shares an interior with the Audi A3.

Associate
I'm still hunting for the perfect focus, but along the way am getting sidetracked by Honda Civics 1.6 vtec (yo?). Does anyone have any experience of driving both focii and civii to give a comparison? If i get a focii it will most likely be a 1.8 as I have a feeling the 1.6 will struggle with more than 2/3 passengers.
The 1.6 Civic on paper has an equivalent bhp of a 1.8.

Soldato
My dad bought a SH Bora last year - a 2.0 TDI I think?
I can't remember the exact model but it is a really nice car.
It really doesn't sound like a diesel at all and he tells me it certainly moves when it needs to.
He too was told to look at the Seat as they were practically the same car however you would pay less for the Seat version.
In the end he managed to find the exact Bora he was after and in the colour he liked so stuck with that.

Back
Top Bottom