MacBook and Windows MCE

Associate
Can't see if this has been asked before.

I am thinking of getting a MacBook, and MCE might be a better option for a Windows OS.

Does it work? Is it a good idea, if it does?

Associate
the only reason why mce cannot be used is due to the fact of the 2cds, however it is possible to combine the 2 onto 1 dvd, or even 1 cd at a push. However i have no experience of the drivers that bootcamp makes and mce, it might moan at the graphics drivers etc. but if you can live with it hey give it a go. plus as you all know cd1 is near enough/is xp pro sp2 anyway

Associate
OP
tehgazza said:
the only reason why mce cannot be used is due to the fact of the 2cds, however it is possible to combine the 2 onto 1 dvd, or even 1 cd at a push. However i have no experience of the drivers that bootcamp makes and mce, it might moan at the graphics drivers etc. but if you can live with it hey give it a go. plus as you all know cd1 is near enough/is xp pro sp2 anyway

Hmmm. Do I feel lucky? :)

Associate
i would say that the xp mce install is not the problem it is just if the bootcamp drivers for the graphics will make media center moan at them, although you dont know, apple may have left a suprise in the form of fully working mce drivers

Man of Honour
The graphics drivers won't make the slightest bit of difference. So long as your card and drivers support at least DirectX 8, the MCE portion will work. Even if they don't, Windows will work.

Besides, the Macbooks use ATI X1600 mobility graphics, and I'll put decent money on the likelihood that ATI drivers are going to work with MCE. :)

PS - Mac Minis use the Intel GMA950 chipset, and you can use the bog standard drivers off the Intel site, and use MCE with that chipset. I know this because I have, on both counts (different PCs though as I had no need to try boot camp with MCE). :)

Back
Top Bottom