Whats the worst job you've ever had?

Soldato
Peeling and liquidising pig brains as part of my degree project. It involved going to an abatoir every morning, picking up a cooler box full of pig brains, peeling the meninges off my hand, putting them into a blender, centrifuging the resulting goo and then taking off the liquid fraction. By that point it wasn't too bad but if you weren't feeling too good then it was HARD work.

Soldato
worst job was when I was with an agency. packing ice cream, 12 boxes per layer 3 boxes per case tiresome and reppetitive and boring but the worse part....

you were of course in a freezer :(

I lasted 3 days of shifts

HT

Soldato
had allot of crap jobs that involve the likes of sewage, bin juices BOREDOM

but suprisingly worst of all had to be when i decided to be a postman.........SNOW loads of it......POST........6 bags of it..........LOST.............completley.

nice map boss it has no ******* street names on it ARGHHHH

started at 5am and finished at 4pm on my first day ,to say the mail was late was an understatement.

was even better when the next week they put me on a different round and said OH part time people always do a different round EVERY week.

god knows where they got part time from i was working 5 days a week 5 till whenever i finished (usually very very late as far a spost is concerened.

after two weeks i was walking like quasimodo and getting complaints from horrible old people everywhere i went.

when they horribly underpayed me on my first payday that was the final straw

Soldato
I worked the 6am-2pm shift at the distribution warehouse for M&S in Tunbridge Wells once over a summer. It was aweful, we were 'performance assessed' over exactly how many things we could pick in so many pick batches. All the picking was ordered electronically, so there was no chance of sleeping on the job either. Strange thing was, picking was more theraputic than loading which was actually the worst job in the world. The 2pm-10pm shift did that, and for some reason got a smaller "unreasonable hours" bonus than us earlys did :)

Soldato
growse said:
I worked the 6am-2pm shift at the distribution warehouse for M&S in Tunbridge Wells once over a summer. It was aweful, we were 'performance assessed' over exactly how many things we could pick in so many pick batches. All the picking was ordered electronically, so there was no chance of sleeping on the job either. Strange thing was, picking was more theraputic than loading which was actually the worst job in the world. The 2pm-10pm shift did that, and for some reason got a smaller "unreasonable hours" bonus than us earlys did :)

Aye it's pathetic!!! Companies could be so much more efficient and profitable if things were different. When I worked for Sainsbury's always we would get the worst picked and stacked deliveries (not having a go at you ... I know how damned hard it is) the performance thing was at our central depot too ... so in summer we would get all our strawberries etc, buried under large packs of dog food and 2litre bottles :( we would ionvariably lose about a quarter of our stock through damages :(

Suspended
Worked at a tomato factory in selby (i think it was) for a day. Was put on the end of a line then told to pour large heavy buckets of tomatoes into the machine. The second person then go taken off so I was by myself and had to work twice as hard. Was with a load of kosovans who didnt speek a word of english too.

Soldato
Homebase drone- working the tills, stacking shelves etc. Taking it when some idiot is moaning that he'll have me fired because he can't find the exact type of nail he's looking for. I had a revelation then, that when people moan about student workers doing dumb jobs and doing them badly, its not because they are stupid. Its because the work is so mind numbingly boring that your brain does a Homer Simpson and leaves.

Legoland was both a fun and terrible job. Being out in the sunshine had its bonuses, but when it was winter it was horrible. Imagine having to start the day walking up the stairs of the log flume and having to poke your finger in a little hose in the back of the logs to let the water out, and the cigarette butts, and the split open nappy contents, and the sick etc. In the freezing cold. And then having to test the ride. And BIN JUICE. There were people employed to be the cleaners (basically other students who failed their interview to be a ride operator as they were charvers, low lives or other scum) but they spent the day hiding round the back to smoke, so we had to do their work for them.

Or my last student job, call centre for a college. That wasn't the hard bit, it was the office work given to us when it wasn't busy. I had to alphabetise 7 years of student records, many thousands of bits of paper. Then the cleaner one night threw them all in the skip for no apparent reason. So I had to start again, except then all the paper smelt of urine.

I think back on these jobs when I moan about my cushy office job. It could be a lot worse.

wordy said:
A little OT but imagine if you worked a confectonary factory, and worked in the fudge department, where you had to box all the fudge up.....

You would offically be a fudge packer:D

I'm no longer allowed in the Cadburys Factory for making that exact observation, vocally and repetitively.

If you ever want to return to that place (they give out free chocolate) do not ask the male staff if there dad is ashamed of them for growing up to be a fudge packer.

Soldato
I got a job offer from an agency once telling me they had a vacancy in the media dept of the Royal Bank of Scotland. I snapped it up without asking what was involved.
Went to work on the Monday and was presented with around 10,000 promotional videos that needed stickers put on them (top and front), inserts to be put in the cases and then the videos themself all nicely packed up :eek:

Yeah ... media dept my arse :rolleyes:

Al

Soldato
OP
SiD the Turtle said:
Homebase drone- working the tills, stacking shelves etc. Taking it when some idiot is moaning that he'll have me fired because he can't find the exact type of nail he's looking for. I had a revelation then, that when people moan about student workers doing dumb jobs and doing them badly, its not because they are stupid. Its because the work is so mind numbingly boring that your brain does a Homer Simpson and leaves.

Been there, done that. Wearing a pea green uniform with trousers 8 times too big. Once I'd worked at Homebase I promised myself never to work in retail ever again.

Associate
When I was 15, I worked for a few months in the Edinburgh Woollen Mill (gah!). I do like shop work, but that drove me crazy... my 'uniform' was an ankle-length tartan skirt, cream blouse, and a navy cardigan - typical granny wear! Not one of my co-workers was under 50. I used to work four hours on a Saturday, and got paid about #3 an hour - so #12 for the day. But considering I had to leave home to catch two buses at 8.30, start my shift at 10, finish at 2, and get home on the buses at 5.30 (a nine hour day!), then pay #5 for the buses, and #2 for my lunch, I was working my socks off (with a horrible manager) for an absolute pittance. Certainly built up a strong work ethic!!!!

Back
Top Bottom