Flight to Hong Kong

Soldato
I'm about to book a flight to Hong Kong and I've never flown long-distance before. The lowest I've found is £276-£344 for a one-way trip (that's all I need) with Emirates and Qatar Airways.

Seen as the total journey time is 18-20 hours, I really don't want to be stuck on an uncomfortable or crappy flight. Can you guys recommend one or the other of those two airlines?

Leaving date can be either the 20th of August or 21st and I have to arrive in Hong Kong before 6pm. It doesn't matter what time I have to leave England.

I'd love to go First Class, but I can't afford it unless it's under £400. I need it to be as cheap as possible, but I will justify £400 for first class! :D

egt

egt

Associate
Nothing between them, they're both very good. The advantage with Emirates is you get a stopover in Dubai airport. With Qatar it's via Doha airport which is very small and still being constructed (limited seating).

The deciding factor for me would be which airline got me to Hong Kong the quickest.

Soldato
Emirates is a fantastic airline. However, last time I flew to Hong Kong with them, I had to change at Dubai - which essentially isn't a problem, but a bit of a pain when the flight is so long. Not sure if this is the case anymore.

Note that it only takes around 12 hours to get to Hong Kong. Long haul is never a problem whatever the airline - as you will always get free booze...

Soldato
My flight to HK in Sept is only ~12hrs :confused: :)

We're going with BA. Probably not the best but it's all cattle-class anyway. Get an aisle seat to stretch in, a good book, the blindfold-type things (not for use with the book), and the funky airline socks for sheer style and you'll be in HK before you can say something mildly amusing in Cantonese.

Soldato
There really is nothing between Qatar and Emirates, and I've flown with both. If I had to choose I'd go with Qatar as they are usually reviewed more highly.

Soldato
go with the cheapest as there is nothing between them.

Been on both and are very similar, try going for a stopover at the connecting airport on the way back or there so you can see the city too.

Also the emirates flight used to go (well it did 3 years ago) via Bangkok to Hong Kong, and this can get annoying as it adds to the journey. (although you could I suppose have a stop in bangkok too)

Soldato
OP
Ahhh, thanks a lot for that. :)

The 18-20 hour thing is also including waiting around for my connecting flight, as quoted on the site, Expedia.co.uk.

Looks like it's Qatar Airways for me, then. £276.20, all in. Great! :D

Back
Top Bottom