Advice pls. PC shuts down itself - Is this a PSU problem?

Associate
I've got a self build AMD system with a 550w cheapo PSU. This PC has lasted me a good 4 years now but recently, its been shutting down on its own. It can vary from a few mins from start up or a few hours. The system shuts down as if the power has been cut but the LED on the case remains lighted up. The only way for me to switch it on again is to turn off the mains power. Yesterday I could not get 2 mins use once logged into windows but today, after 3 tries, it managed to stay on.

Is this pointing towards a PSU problem or something else?

Associate
could very well be the PSU, could be an overheating issue but it sounds more like PSU problems.

What make of PSU, if its Q-Tec or a buggered PSU then you would need to get it replaced before it takes something worth £ out with it.

Associate
How strange I have the exact same problem on one of my systems, and it's using a 400Watt Enermax. Been doing that for nearly a year now but since it's my spare I never bothered replacing the PSU. Since like yours it can last two minutes but sometimes it can go on for hours without any problems.

I know it doesn't really help you fix your problems, but just thought I'd say your not alone. :)

penyekz said:
I've got a self build AMD system with a 550w cheapo PSU. This PC has lasted me a good 4 years now but recently, its been shutting down on its own. It can vary from a few mins from start up or a few hours. The system shuts down as if the power has been cut but the LED on the case remains lighted up. The only way for me to switch it on again is to turn off the mains power. Yesterday I could not get 2 mins use once logged into windows but today, after 3 tries, it managed to stay on.

Is this pointing towards a PSU problem or something else?

Associate
OP
It is a Q-tec one. I need to replace this to tide me over until I upgrade the PC which will probably not be till next year at the earliest (when vista comes out). Anyone knows of a cheap reliable PSU?

Man of Honour
Unfortunately it's a very "You get what you pay for" situation with PSU's.

The cheapest yet still reliable PSU is the one on the top of this page but it's out of stock at the minute here :(

Associate
OP
I've got an AMD XP2100+, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Nvidia Geforce2 MX400, 1 DVD writer, 1 CD-ROM, 1 CDRW. Can a 300W PSU run this or will I need 500W?

Man of Honour
Aye, a decent quality 300 Watter would handle that easily (make sure it has enough connectors for your devices though, don't wanna overload one) ;)

You were thinking something like Tagan TG330-U01 330W (£34.02)?

Back
Top Bottom