Thinking of getting Samsung SM712BM (17")

Soldato
I have LG 1915S 19" TFT for a year and half now. I'm getting increasingly unhappy with it especially that screen is far too bright even under good lighting conditon. If I toned the brightness down, it becomes difficult to read texts. Also due to larger pixel pitch, pixel block is quite visible especially with texts, I had to put TFT a bit further away from me but thats kind of defeated the point of buying 19 inch!

I was fixing up friends' computers and they have 17" TFT...With 17", I thought the text would look too small but they looked great and clear to me, I guess with smaller pixels made it easier to read. Also I noticed the white background in such as Microsoft Word, doesn't look too bright yet the screen appeared fine. Is that to do with contrast ratio? The higher ratio, the better it is?

I saw ex-demo Samsung SM713BM which sells for nearly £120 and I thought its screen looked impressive. It has 700:1 ratio and brightness of 300 cd/m2. Anyone has it?

Thanks

Soldato
might just have been that monitor, but ive used and looked at quite a few 19" monitors, and i've never had a problem like that with any of them. with bigger screens you do of course sit further back, but you dont wanna be sitting 6 inchs away from your monitor anway - bye bye eyesight.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I think I got it sorted. I have downloaded powerstrip and played with the settings.

I have set my monitor to 100% brightness and 25% contrast. Gamma is adjusted to 1.30. Screen is now looking about right to me!

I realised that my screen had contrast too strong, a bit eyesore. I'm using Geforce 3 graphic card, not sure if it has to do with that?

Permabanned
barnettgs said:
I have LG 1915S 19" TFT for a year and half now. I'm getting increasingly unhappy with it especially that screen is far too bright even under good lighting conditon. If I toned the brightness down, it becomes difficult to read texts. Also due to larger pixel pitch, pixel block is quite visible especially with texts, I had to put TFT a bit further away from me but thats kind of defeated the point of buying 19 inch!

I was fixing up friends' computers and they have 17" TFT...With 17", I thought the text would look too small but they looked great and clear to me, I guess with smaller pixels made it easier to read. Also I noticed the white background in such as Microsoft Word, doesn't look too bright yet the screen appeared fine. Is that to do with contrast ratio? The higher ratio, the better it is?

I saw ex-demo Samsung SM713BM which sells for nearly £120 and I thought its screen looked impressive. It has 700:1 ratio and brightness of 300 cd/m2. Anyone has it?

Thanks

Just hope it doesn't break. Their support is AWFUL!

S

Back
Top Bottom