Made A Mistake, Can Anyone Help?

Associate
Hi i recenty bought a d link DI-604 > 4-Port Broadband Router.

after buying this i realise that i need an broadband modem that uses an ethernet cable. (i only have a usb one)

Is there any way of getting round this.

or could someone please recommend me a really cheap broadband modem that connects via ethernet

Any help would be extremly grateful

Associate
OP
i just bought a usb to ethernet converter hopefully this will work.

another question does anyone know if i get a crossover converter will it change my crossover cable into a normal ethernet cable needed for my router??

Soldato
NuTTiE said:

another question does anyone know if i get a crossover converter will it change my crossover cable into a normal ethernet cable needed for my router??

Uh, if you have a USB modem you will not be able to use this in conjunction with any ethernet router at all. For one, the USB device would need drivers. The device you've most probably bought is a USB ethernet adapter - ie. you plug it into a USB port on your PC which gives you an ethernet port off that.

To answer your second question, yes. If you cross a crossed cable it'll make it a straight through but what's the point when straight through cables are so cheap anyway? Unless it's a long long cable of course :)

You will need either a ethernet ADSL modem (which aren't that easy to come by) or a new router with an in-built ADSL modem. The latter is the easiest and most sensible option. This is at least part of the reason why there are so many routers with in-built ADSL modems out there - because there's hardly any ethernet ADSL modems.

Last edited:
Soldato
As recommened, just get a new router with a built in modem. I have had my fair share of ethernet modems and they are not worth the hassle. In one instance I could not even get a netgear wireless router and an ethernet modem to work with each other at all.

Associate
OP
yeh u lot were right the usb converter never worked, can anyone recommend me a broadband router where i can use my usb modem to connect to router, i need to be able to share my inet with one other computer.

i already have a bt voyager 210 adsl router which would work idea but it only works with bt broadband which i dont have anymore

Caporegime
As has already been suggested more than once, forget the USB modem and look for an ADSL router.
As for recommended ADSL routers, I'd suggest searching this forum.

Associate
NuTTiE said:
got me an adsl router, why i didnt do this in the first place i have no idea

easy mistake to make i did the same couple of months ago and spent days trying to sort it out properly

in the end took back and told then it was broke and got a refund and bought the right thing

glad yuou got it sorted

Associate
NuTTiE said:

You have no idea the amount of people I have to convince that the usb to ethernet converters isn't going to help, some like to argue with me that it will... in work that is.

Back
Top Bottom