• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD x2 4400+ Temps

Associate
Hi people! I received my 4400+ from OCUK yesterday and have been playin around with overclocking it. I have ir currently running at prime stable with the cores at 2.5Ghz each. My problem is i don't know if the temp readings i am getting are correct. I'm using a Freezer 64 pro from arctic cooling and, since i know the temp sensors on the dfi expert are known to be a bit dodgy, i downloaded a prog called Core Temp that was recommended throught he DFI forums. Thing is its showing some pretty strange readings. Core 1 is reading as 59C under load which i think is on the high side when core 2 is reading 44C, which is more like what i was expecting. Does anyone else have any experience with this prog? or such a large dif between their core temps? I have about 1.42v going through the core at the moment but that should whack the temp up to almost 60C should it?!? Any help will be appreciated!

Associate
OP
I was wondering if the hsf was seated properly so i may try re-seating it later on today. seem weird that there would be such a big diff in reported temps for the two cores using this prog. God i wish there was a way to get reliable temp readings from this damn board! lol!

Associate
I am using core temp as it is the most accurate temp reading programme.
My idle is around 40-43 and load is in mid 50's.

I wouldnt bother reseating, I reseated my Ninja about 5 times as I thought there was a problem with temps and they were the same every time.

I have to get used to the X2's running hotter than my old 3500+

Associate
OP
Ok, now i'm gettin prettty worried. I have reseated my hsf and now, under load, my temps seem even higher!!! When running 2 instances of stress prime Core Temp is now reading core 1 at 68c and core 2 at 59c! At the moment i have 1.46v running through the cpu for a speed of 2.5Ghz/core with any other temp reading software telling me im at around 41c. Surely my mobo's sensors can't bet that far out!

Anyone got any ideas as to if this would be accurate? the HSF is seated properly, a nice thin layer of AS5 applied, a freezer 64 pro providing the cooling. I've never had temps this high before and so am a little concerned!

Soldato
how thin was your layer of as5. it should be really really thin, as in just covering the base of the hsf.

those temps do seem a tad ont he high side, DFI boards are on average about 10'C off. mine and my friends expert are 10'C off. im putitng 1.55V through my 3800 and getting temps of 50'C with a scythe and a Panflo 105cfm fan

your temps should be no where near that. take your heatink off and remove the as5 from the heatsink, leave the stuff on the processor and re seat,

there needs to be VERY little as5.

EDIT: other than that your heatsink may not be level.
EDIT 2: core 1 is at 68 and core 2 is at 59, this sounds like you as5 is un-even or your heatsink isnt seated properly, or its not level and my need lapped

Last edited:
Associate
I use a 4200+ less cache so slightly cooler but it still runs hot, I noticed going from 1.4 to 1.45 made a dramatic increase in temps. infact when you watch the temp at 1.4 it doesn`t fluctuate much at 1.45 it fluctuates from 1.42 to 1.48 my second core was hitting 59c with core temp at 1.4 it hits around 53c on the second core @ full load running 100% both cores although asus probe shows 50c. my point is and I could be wrong in your case but on my system extra voltage seems to increase my temp dramatically compared to my 3700+ im idle now at 39c 44c according to core temp. I changed hsf reseated the new evo 120 8 times. I can run this chip at 2840 with 1.5 volts but the temps go way over 60c.

Last edited:
Soldato
:( Looks like your chips are running soo much hotter than my 3800 with 1.55, is it the extra cache?

EDIT: i put my system up against my friends Opty 170 at 2.4 in super pi at 4MB his time was 3mins 15 mine was 3 minutes 1, it must be the extra cache that makes it so fast.

Associate
Mine has the same cache as your 3800+ it could be the stepping that makes the difference mine is a e4 model not the e6 model, I believe the e6 runs cooler.

Associate
OP
I thought it looked a bit wrong myself. the thing is Core Temp is reporting idle temps of 40/35 at the moment, where as my bios reports idle of about 30. I find it very hard to believe that the temps can jump almost 30c when under load.

The AS5 was on in a very thin layer. i cleaned both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol then applied the AS5 to he heatspreader on the cpu as used a plastic card thing i got with some rubbish Akasa tc a while back to spread it very thin, seated the hsf and gave it a twist like it says to in the installation instructions. Basically exactly how i've done it when changing to my first A64 3200+, my Opteron, and now this.

I would appreciate it if someone of you would also download Core Temp and tell me what u are getting. here's the link...

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137

Thanks for your help here guys...! :confused:

Associate
OP
Sorry to bang on, but are you guys using the Core Temp program i linked to above? Any other temp sensing software i use tells me my idle temp is about 27 and load about 41-45 depending on the oc, but core temp is reporting about 25C OVER this, which is whats got me worried. Maybe there's lots of people out there who don't actually know how hot their oc's are running...

Soldato
a quick play with my 4400 x2 yesterday and i agree that there seems to be a big jump in temps with only a small rise in voltage.

Cooling under a Artic Cooler 64 Pro

Idle @ stock volts, stock speed - 34 degrees
Load @ stock volts, stock speed - 42/43 degrees

2.5ghz with 1.475v - idle @ 38/39
under Prime 1.475v - 56/57degrees!! :eek:

That's using the dfi software (smartguardian?).

Will download the linky above and test again over the weekend and report back for you also.

Soldato
I de-lidded my CPU yesterday and stuck a Big Typhoon on it. That's dropped my temps by about 5 degrees. If you are brave, you guys could do the same. It would be easier to get good contact with both cores, thus evening out temps.

Associate
OP
booyaka said:
a quick play with my 4400 x2 yesterday and i agree that there seems to be a big jump in temps with only a small rise in voltage.

Cooling under a Artic Cooler 64 Pro

Idle @ stock volts, stock speed - 34 degrees
Load @ stock volts, stock speed - 42/43 degrees

2.5ghz with 1.475v - idle @ 38/39
under Prime 1.475v - 56/57degrees!! :eek:

That's using the dfi software (smartguardian?).

Will download the linky above and test again over the weekend and report back for you also.

Thanks booyaka. I think that you'll probably see a rise even above what smartguardian is saying with Core Temp. I knew the Expert sensors were out, but this diference is ridiculous!

I'm gonna try my old Freezer 64 (non pro) tonight when i get back from work to see if that makes a diference and see if the Pro i have on now has somehow busted. my idle temps at the mo on 1.45v, 2.5ghz are 39/32, which are ok, but there's such a jump under load it makes me think there is something wrong somewhere....

Anyway, thanks for you help so far guys, all much appreciated! :D

Associate
My jump is very similar to the point where I think core temp is misleading infact Im not going to run it anymore and just rely on the mobo temp software. Just because some people think its spot on accurate doesn`t mean it actually is.

Suspended
Idle
Core -32/36 degrees

Load
Core - 49/50 degrees for both

Ambiant 19/20 degrees
4400 @ 2.7ghz, 1.488-1.504v
See sig for CPU cooling and case

Back
Top Bottom