Grammar Check! Which is right?

Soldato
There's a difference between the thread starter's question and the debate about starting a sentence with 'and' or 'but'.

'Steve was sat in his chair' is grammatically incorrect. It's like using your instead of you're, or their in place of they're. Whenever you use it, whatever the context, it's grammatically non-standard, ie. you're wrong.

Beginning a sentence with and or but, on the other hand, is a stylistic issue. You wouldn't do it in a formal document, but in something less formal or a bit more lively it would be OK. It's not necessarily wrong, it depends on the context.

Man of Honour
Sort of off topic/on topic, but can I ask a question?

You use an apostrophe to denote possession. How do I refer to the friend of the cousin of my housemate? Is it:

My housemate's Cousin's friend?
My housemate's Cousins friend?

Soldato
greenlizard0 said:
Fair, I thought so. Thanks for clearing that up.

You would be better to word it "A friend of my housemate's cousin" imo in cases like this as depending on what follows in the sentence, it generally looks and reads better.

Caporegime
Your mother is not correct, but neither is she wrong.

By adding -ing to the end of the verb, the word becomes an adjective, and in the case of the OP - The subject, Steve, is thence desribed as sitting.

"Steve was sat" might imply a degree of action - he was made to sit, but it is also a perfectly valid use of the past participle of the verb sit, and the addition of the verb to be (in the form "was") is the use of the progressive aspect.

If your mother requires clarification on either method, I will be glad to mete out the requisite response.

(9ò_ó)-o (°Y°)

Permabanned
OP
Borris said:
Your mother is not correct, but neither is she wrong.

By adding -ing to the end of the verb, the word becomes an adjective, and in the case of the OP - The subject, Steve, is thence desribed as sitting.

"Steve was sat" might imply a degree of action - he was made to sit, but it is also a perfectly valid use of the past participle of the verb sit, and the addition of the verb to be (in the form "was") is the use of the progressive aspect.

If your mother requires clarification on either method, I will be glad to mete out the requisite response.

(9ò_ó)-o (°Y°)

w00t!

Caporegime
shifty_uk said:
While we're on the subject. I'm sure you cannot start a sentence with and, because or but etc. I constantly see people around the Internet, and even in books doing this.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The grammer rules have slightly relaxed on this really. You can certainly start a sentence with becuase but you need to form it correctly making a it a complete sentence- "Because the weather was so lovely we went for a picnic"- you could get away with that but isn't the best english. "It was really hot and sunny on saturday. Because of that we went on a picnic" The 2nd sentence is incomplete and is a big no no.

You can start a sentence with And, sometimes to add effect- to emphasise the event/article.

Associate
Oracle said:
OK, my mother used to be a teacher and is fairly good at all things english, etc, etc.

We were having a chat the other day and I was telling her about this guy at work. Now, I pride myself on English, especially my ability to spell with minimal errors (if any), and my use (grammatical or otherwise) of the English language (init!) :p .

In this particular example, I said the following:

"Steve was sat in his chair when............"

My mother corrected me and told me that it should be

"Steve was sitting in his chair when................"

Now, tbh imo lol, I don't really care, as they both sound acceptable, and whilst I appreciate her reasoning, I felt my way was justified as I was talking about a past event.

What do you lot reckon.

you mum is right :D

Back
Top Bottom