mmhmm, think my steering wheel is not aligned?

Man of Honour
Recently had 2 new fronts balanced & fitted and thought I'd get tracking done at the same time since it's not been checked since I've had the car (8 months ish)

Well anyway, ProTyre Fareham gave me a full report sheet on the tracking job done (all 4 wheels) and the job was done well, the report sheet shows the wheels were out of alignment and after they sorted it out I could freewheel in a straight line without the car veering to the left.

This is all good.

But the only small thing is that the steering wheel isn't straight. It never has been entirely straight though and by this I mean when on a straight road if I let go of the wheel the car carries on going striaght nicely but the wheel is more biased towards the right side.

I stopped and did full lock to the left and right - I noticed that the right full lock has more bias than the left full lock, they should be the same? (hence the slightly more bias towards the right when driving straight)

Any way to manually fix this or is it a garage job does anyone know? it's not a major problem but I do like to have things just right :)

Car is an eg5 civic lsi

Soldato
Sounds like the people that did the wheel alignment forgot one step - the one where you're supposed to put the steering wheel straight and tie it down, then proceed with the alignment......

So I guess the answer to your question is to take it back and have them put it right like they were supposed to the first time.

Caporegime
DAvE18 said:
Im also interested as my steering wheel is off a few degrees as well put it straight on and the car goes left a bit :p

wonder if will cost a lot to get fixed.

I've just had the alignment checked (& adjusted) on my e38 after it started to scrub a tyre, £24, alas, the tyre needed replacing, which was £154! :(

Soldato
This exact thing happened to me, I even watched the guy do it. He clamped the steering wheel in place when it wasn't straight. I told him and he said 'no mate don't worry I am gonna correct that' and he never did. Was pretty mad and should really have asked for money back but since it was only £18 I figured I would rather not have him fiddling trying to correct his errors, instead just went to a VW dealer and they did it properly...

Soldato
didnt know alightment and geometry checking was that cheap. may get it done to the golf, may add more sparkle to its chuckability

Man of Honour
OP
Well I phoned up the ProTyre FAREHAM centre and the guy said "yep bring it in and we will haev a look at it for you"

Took it down (4 miles away) and am told the tracking machine broke "just" 10 mins ago and to come back during the week :rolleyes:

Maybe it was coincidence or maybe it wasn't, I am going to get it looked at again on monday lunch time and there will be non nonsense talking that time :mad:

The tracking in total cost me almost £40 for front and rear adjustment so they damn well should have done a proper job of it...

Back
Top Bottom