Update on the p990

Caporegime
Dno if we should really make a seperate thread for the HTC TyTn, but I think both these phones are very similar and looking to draw the same market and Im not 100% sure which to get (yet)...

Anyway I spoke to one of the peeps at my local Tmobile shop yesterday, who confirmed they are expecting it around the 27th August (fingers crossed). Just got off the phone from Tmobile to check, who confirmed that it is due out soon and on their books (couldnt confirm the dates, but said it should be out within the month).

They have got a £300 price tag on it (unsure if thats upgrade as it seems too cheap for sim-free - perhaps some internal valuation) so Im hoping it will be free/dirt cheap on a new FlexT 35 + WnW Pro. Supposedly Im a good customer so I might check out the upgrade price too...

Usually I dont trust what they say but heres hoping...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
ps3ud0 said:
Dno if we should really make a seperate thread for the HTC TyTn, but I think both these phones are very similar and looking to draw the same market and Im not 100% sure which to get (yet)...
I'm in the same boat as you. I have owned the p900 and p910i and was going to get the P990i but now I'm torn between that and the TyTN. :confused:

The only major differences I can see are that the TyTN has a 64k colour screen (vs 262K on P990i), it doesn't have a radio (P990i does), battery life isn't quite as good and it has the M$ OS (P990i is symbian UIQ). BUT it is ~£100 cheaper and I prefer the look of it. It also has just got the highest rating for ANY phone in 'Total Mobile' magazine.

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with either of these two phones?

Caporegime
Aug 10th is when im expecting my p990i to be with me, was supposed to be released lasst week but it never came. But had a phone call from the place i ordered from and they say fingers crossed aug 10th is when they will have their first shipments in.

Saying that though, quite a few people from sweden have already got their p990i's and so far so good. Im really looking forward to this phone, i did buy the m600i but have returned that as i couldnt quite get to grips with it, its a strange form factor and found it hard to navigate through the menu's but saying that UIQ3 is one hell of an o/s....just needs time to mature then it will be the ultimate o/s on a phone.

The Tyn Tyn is a nice PDA...notice how i put PDA rather than phone because in reality the TYN TYN is not a very good phone tbh. Whereas the p990i is firstly a phone then pda and thats the sort of thing that im wanting. But the features on the Tyn Tyn are quite nice, but the size and bulk of the unit puts me off. The p990i is not a small phone by any means but is smaller than the Tyn Tyn but not much smaller though.

Anyways another 2 days to go then my long wait for the p990i will be truly over:p

Associate
Spawn said:
But the features on the Tyn Tyn are quite nice, but the size and bulk of the unit puts me off. The p990i is not a small phone by any means but is smaller than the Tyn Tyn but not much smaller though.
Although the TyTn is 26g heavier than the P990i, both on volume and overall dimensions the TyTN is actually slightly smaller.

P990i: 114 x 57 x 25mm 150g
TyTN: 112.5 x 58 x 21.95mm 176g

Caporegime
sl33pyhead said:
Although the TyTn is 26g heavier than the P990i, both on volume and overall dimensions the TyTN is actually slightly smaller.

P990i: 114 x 57 x 25mm 150g
TyTN: 112.5 x 58 x 21.95mm 176g
Was thinking the same :confused:

In comparison the N70 (one of the larger smartphones that I assume everyone is familiar with) is:

108.8 x 53 x 21.8mm 126g

So not to spilt hairs but they are both about the same size - to me the thickness is most important since its the bulge of the pocket that usually puts me off :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
Finally for the love of god the p990i is now out in the UK, mind you sim free at the moment.
Was supposedly to have one on august 10th but thanks to a few supplier probs, the place i ordered from just sent me an email saying that my p990i has been shipped \o/.

Hopefully if Royal fail can deliver, ill have my brand spanking new p990i in my hands tommorrow morning :D:D \o/ w00t

Soldato
Spawn said:
Finally for the love of god the p990i is now out in the UK, mind you sim free at the moment.
Was supposedly to have one on august 10th but thanks to a few supplier probs, the place i ordered from just sent me an email saying that my p990i has been shipped \o/.

Hopefully if Royal fail can deliver, ill have my brand spanking new p990i in my hands tommorrow morning :D:D \o/ w00t

I'll definitely be interested in your opinion, as hopefully its as good or better than the p910i, meaning i can get rid of the n80 i've got, as i just can't live with it and have been using my old p910i for the last few weeks.

Caporegime
BUSH said:
I'll definitely be interested in your opinion, as hopefully its as good or better than the p910i, meaning i can get rid of the n80 i've got, as i just can't live with it and have been using my old p910i for the last few weeks.

Right well i got my lovely p990i today \o. w00t, in fact i got 2 but seems like ive only been charged once:p...so i might keep the other one to sell hehe...so anyone interested in a brand spanking new sim free p990i then lemme know....nahhhh to be honest ill probably send it back even though its probably their fault but still i wouldnt feel too good about keeping it even if they dont say anything to me about it.

Anyways first impressions are that its a stonker of a phone, is it better than the p910i??, hard to say as its just newly out and there arent many programs out there for it unlike the p910i phone. But ill say this though, its thinner and lighter than the previous p series. Ive had it in my back pocket and seriously ive had to check a few times if its still in my back pocket hehe,...its that unobstrusive tbh.
As i said i havent had much of a chance to play with it but its very very quick and responsive which is good. Definitely knocks seven shades out of the n80 thats for sure...only part thats slow is the startup but then that isnt too bad.

I'll post a proper review with some pics later tonight so keep tuned guys, already id recommend this phone...only had it for an hr or so and im loving it.

Caporegime
Xpander said:
The P990i has been out in Sweden for a while now (probably something to do with SE's Swedish routes). I don't get why it's being delayed on a month-by-month basis, last I heard it was defintely going to be released this month and September?!

What are they playing at? I wanted the phone back in January, 10 months on I'm not that interested any more. I think they've missed the boat a bit to be honest.

Oh and you can get it on fleBay for £500 - cheap!

Well its out, got mine this morning at 8.30am :D, as for fleabay??...i wouldnt buy one from there as most seem to be prototype units and i wouldnt touch them with yours:p.

Caporegime
turboshed said:
hi,

can any one point me in the direction of anywhere they know that has the p990 in stock, i have the cash waiting but can't find anywhere :mad:

Tried google??..tbh we cant really give out names as most places will be competitors.
Anyways your gonna have a hard time finding one as they are all sold out as far as i can see. Best thing to do is have a search on google and then put in an order and when they come into stock, you should get one.

Hell ive been waiting since last dec with my pre-order and i just got my p990i a few days ago. Absolutely loving the phone...btw posting from the p990i as well :D:p

Associate
i have tried google and every place that i could find had sold out, i was hoping that maybe you guys knew of a place that had them in stock. A few places said they are expecting more towards the end of next week, but thats too long to wait!!!!!!! :eek: :(

Back
Top Bottom