Overclock Ruined my PC?

Associate
Hello,

Lastnight I decided to fiddle with my BIOS and I found a little setting that allowed me to auto-overclock my CPU.

I set it to be overclocked by 10% (It gave me options for 3%, 5%, 10%). Everything ran fine and the temps were only marginally higher than normal. After a few mins the pc locked up for a couple of seconds so I rebooted and reset the overclock to 'Standard' i.e. no overclock.

However...

After the POST section where usually I expect to see the Windows XP logo with the little blue/green bar swishing along I get nothing but a black screen.

Nothing happens after that at all.

Have I managed to break something??? Can this be worked around???

System Spec:
  • Asus A8V Deluxe
  • A64 3000+
  • 1Gb Corsair XMS
  • 6800GT

Any help greatly appreciated.

Soldato
If you can get into the bios,load your default settings & reboot,if not

Pull the cmos battery,leave it out for a minute,stick it back in,then reboot.Should get you back into the bios, it will reset everything to default ;)

Better learning to overclock yourself,rather than using auto overclock settings in the bios mate.That way you know what the setting are,rather than this type of thing happening

Rob

Soldato
Have you tried to clear your CMOS? There should be a jumper on the motherboard to do this, that will then set your BIOS to its defualt settings. Make sure you have the PC turned off before doing this though. Look in your motherboard manual as it should have instructions on what to do.

Associate
OP
Yeah I thought I would do it quickly as I saw the option. Didn't realise it had the potential to lock me out of the computer altogether!

Will try the BIOS battery when I get home from work. Thanks for the tip, hopefully it will work.

Kinda put me off OC'ing altogether now though :(

Associate
Look in your manual for the cmos jumer, remove it for few second or move it on to thrird pin if it's that sort.

Put it back boot up and your pc will back to default settings, don't worry its normal and not a problem.

What did you expect to happen when you pushed it to far of course it won't boot.

Reset your cmos and start again.

Soldato
nO}{8 said:
your hard drive could have been corrupted, which means a complete format :eek:

It would be damn bad luck on his first OC though. I've never corrupted an HD through overclocking despite doing several suicidal OCs. With locked PCI buses and SATA drives it tends not to happen often any more!

I'm betting it'll be fine after a CMOS reset. Don't let it put you off overclocking! As has been said, do some reading around until you understand what the manual overclocking options are doing. You're more likely to succeed than you are using the auto OC. Those things are a good idea but generally they don't work very well.

Soldato
My first oc corrupted my disk. It happens.

Setting the auto overclocking isn't overclocking, its letting the bios overclock and in many cases the bios isn't very good at it. Set it to stock and let one of us guide you through how to do it properly. Don't let this put you off, just make sure you know what your doing.

A corrupted harddisk never stopped me ;) Hopefully yours isn't corrupted.

In my case it was a board with no locks, hence an overclocked ide bus. Now that really does kill a windows installation.

Associate
OP
Well I managed to get the BIOS battery out lastnight. Left it out for an hour before replacing it. unfortunately it made no difference. Tried to find a jumper to reset the CMOS but didnt have a spare one. I think I have one in the mobo box but that is in the loft at the mo! Will get it down later tonight and try again.

If this makes no difference then I guess I will give it a format (I only just formatted so the drives contain nothing of any use which is fortunate!)

:)

Associate
OP
Yep, It was completely disconnected from the main power as I had to move it out into my room to get into it.

Forgot to mention that I have 2x Raptors in RAID 0. I wonder if they have got completely borked by the problem? If it can possibly corrupt a HD then i'm guessing that it isnt going to get on too well with a RAID setup!!!?

Soldato
Beeralbion said:
{snip}Asus A8V Deluxe{snip}
Finally changed from that mobo to ASRock's 939Dual-SATA2. You see the A8V DELUXE was the bad revision 1.0, i.e. it did not have any AGP/PCI lock :eek: I learnt that (almost) the hard way after overclocked the system too much (FSB 214MHz :o ). PC booted, but threw up a lot of grabage when detecting HD's (SATA & IDE). What I did is cleared the CMOS, like suggested, & worked. But on 1 occassion had to restore the Windows partition from a backup. Gave up trying to Overclock the board from there on. Apart from that great board nevertheless!

But what do you mean by 'Tried to find a jumper'? It SHOULD always be there :confused:

Anyway, seek the manual (PDF here) :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
trojan698 said:
Sounds like the oc has corrupted windows. If you're going to overclock, you're best doing it manually using bios settings as opposed to using software.
True, but the A8V Deluxe without AGP/PCI lock the problem will still be there. So not worth really attempting any OC :(

Soldato
To reset the bios i usually just make sure power is off for computer, then hold down delete key under the insert key and whilst held i power the computer on and while delete is still held down still the bios should reset itself and come on.

Soldato
Think I corrupted my windows boot partition earlier coz I upped the CPU frequency by 9 i.e. 10x9 :( That's what you get for being impatient! Am I right in thinking newer mobos have the pci/pci-e/HD speeds locked by default or is it something you have to set in the BIOS?

Associate
OP
Well resetting the CMOS using the jumper (which indeed was on the switch after all - it was late and I didn't have a torch hehe) nothing had changed.

So here I am with a fresh install of XP!

Thanks for your help guys, a wealth of knowledge here!

Think i'm going to upgrade soon and get myself a decent board so I can finally dabble with overclocking! (more re-installs to come...)

Back
Top Bottom