Thermalright SI-128 Gibbo?

Wise Guy
Soldato
Creidiki said:
You dont have to work out anyhing, the "how" is well known.

First you have to saw the IHS off the package (its epoxied) without destroying the package.

The die is *soldered* onto the IHS, so you then have to heat up the whole thing to about 105-110c. The package survives to 130c, so if youre careful you should be fine.

Only 1 person has ever completed this succesfully that I know of, and thats FUGGER, owner of XtremeSystems.

Of course, once you manage to pull the IHS off, then you have to figure out how to clamp the CPU to the Motherboard, as the clamping mechanism relies on the IHS' presence.

And then, once youve done all that you find out youve gained 1, possibly 2c because unlike AMDs ThermalCrap (thats what the manufacturer of AMD's TIM call it), Intel's soldering process has excellent thermal properties, and it doesent lose performance with age.

and i thought your mate had a "special machine" to remove them with Drazic?

Permabanned
OP
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110655

2nd link in that topic show me finding someothing about it!!!

I know what needed and what the problems are!!

You also only need the base part of the IHS that is stuck to pcb wafer with the black stuff for it hold in the frame!!! Though there is mini movement so you could even get away with nothing holding!!!

Well i'm looking at it form Phase this way!

sorry

Associate
If youre going phase I'd really keep the IHS on. Much too easy to chip the die when mounting te evap head - there's a reason why most Phase/LN2ers who use AMD pull the IHS off to replace TIM1 with cermique and then plonk the IHS back on ;)

I cant really see a 1-2c drop being worth the risk of wrecking your die when youre subzero already :D

But if youre going to remove it, I want to see a lapped die or there will be a reckoning :p

Permabanned
OP
I know all the risk etc etc

Till we as i'm an xs memeber involved in this work out how it'll stay on, it's even confermed yet if i will remove it

The core will get a lapping and ipa'ing

Associate
*nod* i guess one major advantanges is most (all?) of the SIMDs are on the backside of the package... is that still true for CDs?

I'd hate to take a saw to an AMD duallie with how close the SIMDs are to the edge of the package.

Permabanned
OP
I belive the SMD's are on the back only, i say that as it could be both ways see but it has smds on the back but what lies under we duno unless it hasn;t chnaged form the demo when they havd the IHS less

Oh what i would give for one!

Soldato
Back on topic, how is this better than the thermalright ultra120?

The only advantages i can see are less of a cantilever effect and will fit in smaller cases, and overclockers like ourselves shouldn't really care about either of those. ;)

I doubt it performs as well as the ultra 120.

Permabanned
OP
Yonah and Memrom are IHS less as there ment for laptops!! Both are 479!

You can use any 478 IHS on them as has been done so!

Yonah core is easye to brake, Memrom is tough as anyhting

I think i might have a dead Conroe coming so i might have a go at plucking IHS off it!

Soldato
Creidiki said:
Better airflow to mosfet/nb is why I'd take this over the Ultra (if I was still aircooling)... tower coolers are one of my pet peeves.
I solved that by putting a few 40mm fans over my vreg heatsink and a duct to my rear case fan over my chipset heatsink. For the performance most tower heatsinks offer its worth the effort of making alternative vreg and if necessary chipset cooling, and you end up with better cooling for everything with hot air from the cpu being removed directly from the case and the vreg heatsink getting its own dedicated fan.

Permabanned
OP
Creidiki said:
If youre going phase I'd really keep the IHS on. Much too easy to chip the die when mounting te evap head - there's a reason why most Phase/LN2ers who use AMD pull the IHS off to replace TIM1 with cermique and then plonk the IHS back on ;)

I cant really see a 1-2c drop being worth the risk of wrecking your die when youre subzero already :D

But if youre going to remove it, I want to see a lapped die or there will be a reckoning :p

IHSLess.jpg

Not a Conroe as of yet but it posts and everything!!!

Like the yonah, if you don't apply perfectly even pressure to the coller,then they have a habit of cracking across the corner as does/did Dothan and Merom

Associate
Joe42 said:
I solved that by putting a few 40mm fans over my vreg heatsink and a duct to my rear case fan over my chipset heatsink.
40mm... *shudder*

I have a 92mm fan in my case (over the mosftets, lol) and I stay awake at night thinking of ways to replace it with a 120er. If I could use 140mm all-round like I use on my rad I'd be one happy camper :D

Drazic said:
Not a Conroe as of yet but it posts and everything!!!
Mmmm, good work. Does the clamp interfere with sinks/blocks, the way the white bracket sometimes interferes on naked AMDs?

Soldato
Creidiki said:
40mm... *shudder*

I have a 92mm fan in my case (over the mosftets, lol) and I stay awake at night thinking of ways to replace it with a 120er. If I could use 140mm all-round like I use on my rad I'd be one happy camper :D
I have an obsession with silent computing believe it or not. Those 40mm fans run at 5v. ;)
You can use a 120mm fan in a 92mm fan hole with an adaptor providing there is space for it.

Permabanned
OP
Creidiki said:
Mmmm, good work. Does the clamp interfere with sinks/blocks, the way the white bracket sometimes interferes on naked AMDs?

It was not an easy one to do at all!!! Still shaking and keep looking my Conroe to do it but know not to and get a retail incase it does die!

Nah the core just sits up enough, there is a tiny bend in the clmap just to hold the chip in place!

Yet to lapped the core and clean it up some

5 razor blades, blow tourch, shaking vilontly, vice, guts

I was sick when it posted!! Duno if it was the scunk birthday cake from lastnight or the thing working!

Anyway my ES chip is way too tempting to go for right now! so i've put it in the mobo and packed it away and hoden out of sight trying to go for it!

Associate
Well, no, its hanging from my HD bay and just kinda dangling in front of the Mosfets... under this:

Unfortunately there isnt enough clearance for a 120er (Storm's tubing interferes), but ill replace the 120er pointed at the ram with a 140 when low-speed 140mm Yates go back in stock :)

Drazic said:
5 razor blades, blow tourch, shaking vilontly, vice, guts

I was sick when it posted!! Duno if it was the scunk birthday cake from lastnight or the thing working!
Lol, I can imagine, I get the shakes just popping the lid off AMDs :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Sod it i'll keep it on as i'm going to do some huge mods to my mobo after i clean all the crap off it form the Ln2 insualting!! I hate this job!

I'll be ****** by 12pm tormrow with all the IPA i need to clean this!

Once cleaned out come's an army of mods i'm fitting then see if i can push the thing and hit the fastest clock. just waiting on price for the caps i need cos this could get costly let alone a sore neck form a days worth of mods!

WR is 4.6ghz for the E6700 but i think only FCG has it currently!!!

E6700 ES (stepping 5), 1.62v, single stage phase change cooling, Asus P52 DH Deluxe (BIOS 0078)

11.125.JPG

Back
Top Bottom