Awwwww, my 360 has died!

Associate
yeah i got a printer from comet one time worst mistake ever, they basically route all theyre repairs and services thru the original companies and even thou im standing there saying no thats not right im here with it, it doestn work, fix it or give me a new one they wont.

complete and utter swine

Soldato
Sounds like you got told the same rubbish as I did. Hopefully consumer direct will get back to me soon and we'll know if they are even allowed to do that.

From everything i've read and been told so far it's not for Comet to decide, it's for the customer to decide if they want either repair, replacement or refund.

If a replacement or refund is required then whether they like it or not Comet (or any other retailer) must obey the law and can't just make up their own rules on whether or not to refund or exchange faulty goods.

Associate
Strange, we bought our kettle from comet, it has a 2 year warranty, we're on our 3rd now (my better half drinks a scary amount of tea every day) and every time we've taken it back to Comet and had it exchanged in store. They've both lasted about 9 months, should be about due for another soon. :D

Soldato
They havn't got Microsofts repair policy to hide behind when it's only a kettle, plus it would have to be a ridiculously priced kettle to cost anywhere near as much as a 360 :)

Soldato
Got a reply from consumer direct, pretty much as expected. The trader is responsible, not Microsoft.

Here is the reply:

Dear Mr Wedge,

Thank you for your enquiry to Consumer Direct regarding the faulty X-Box 360 purchased from Comet.

From the information you have provided us I woudl advise you to speak with the manager of the store explaining that your statutory rights are against the trader (Comet) and not the manufacturer. You should state that you request a repair, replacement, full or part refund. The most likely remedy may be a repair as this could be the most cost effective for the trader.

Your contract is governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which states that all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer must be of a satisfactory quality, fit for their purpose and as described. If this is not the case then you may have a right to reject the goods and claim a refund. The law states that you only have a short time in which to reject the goods and claim a full refund and once ‘acceptance’ has occurred then your rights are limited in the first instance to claiming for a repair or possibly replacement or part refund.

If you do not get a favourable response from the Manager then please call us on the number below and your details will be passed to Trading Standards for further assistance with the matter.

Regards

Consumer Direct North West

No surprise really, unfortunately Microsoft have already been and picked my 360 up for repair so I wont get the pleasure of showing this to that idiot at Comet. At least if it does go wrong in the near future I have this to fall back on.

Soldato
wedgie22 said:
Got a reply from consumer direct, pretty much as expected. The trader is responsible, not Microsoft.

Here is the reply:

Dear Mr Wedge,

Thank you for your enquiry to Consumer Direct regarding the faulty X-Box 360 purchased from Comet.

From the information you have provided us I woudl advise you to speak with the manager of the store explaining that your statutory rights are against the trader (Comet) and not the manufacturer. You should state that you request a repair, replacement, full or part refund. The most likely remedy may be a repair as this could be the most cost effective for the trader.

Your contract is governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which states that all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer must be of a satisfactory quality, fit for their purpose and as described. If this is not the case then you may have a right to reject the goods and claim a refund. The law states that you only have a short time in which to reject the goods and claim a full refund and once ‘acceptance’ has occurred then your rights are limited in the first instance to claiming for a repair or possibly replacement or part refund.

If you do not get a favourable response from the Manager then please call us on the number below and your details will be passed to Trading Standards for further assistance with the matter.

Regards

Consumer Direct North West

No surprise really, unfortunately Microsoft have already been and picked my 360 up for repair so I wont get the pleasure of showing this to that idiot at Comet. At least if it does go wrong in the near future I have this to fall back on.

i would take a printout of the e-mail , take it to the store and ask to speak to manager, explain what happened "if he forgot", then slap the printed e-mail out and tell him you will be phoning trading standards and posting what a useless lot comet are all over the internet.

Then walk out.

Soldato
I'd send a copy of that letter, along with a statement of events to Comets customer service dept. Try to get the name of the manager as well.

They'll probably send you some vouchers or something.

Soldato
PiKe said:
Edit: Oh you sent it back :(

I know, oops!

Was considering holding on to it as soon as i'd phoned them really, but I didn't know how things would turn out at the time. Plus they came for it the next day while I was out so there wasn't much I could do about it.

I'm still considering going in to Comet some time to point a few things out to the guy I spoke to, not sure if I will or not yet tho.

Back
Top Bottom