Maxtor possibly dead = rage

Associate
Basically I booted up my comp like normal and my 200g Maxtor DM9 made 3 triple beeps, then a very unhealthy sounding noise.

Aside from wanting to kill something for thinking about what data I have lost, I thought I might as well find out what the beeps mean, so any info would be useful, not sure what other info I oculd add but if im missing anything let me know.

Cheers.

Soldato
noxidjkram@hotm said:
I suspect thats your BIOS making the beeps thorugh your system speaker, and not the HDD - i'm not aware of any HDD having a speaker.

I remember reading a thread on another message board quite a long time ago about a guy who insisted the hard-drive itself was beeping. Don't remember any of the details of it, but the beeping sound did genuinely seem to be coming from the HDD. Quite odd.

Associate
OP
It is definately coming from the harddrive itself, I tested it in an external enclosure and it still beeped, I was quite surprised to find it was the HD itself also, hence my curiosty as to to what is exactly wrong.
It seems to me as it has died, but as I have never had a HD fail on me before I have no frame of reference.

checked maxtors site and ofcourse god forbid they would have any useful sopport :rolleyes:

Associate
luminous said:
Blimey sounds like they do kind of `beep`,never heard of that before.
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=10493
Have you tried any recovery software with it as slave?.
Cool 200 ways to revive hard drive here,unfortunately freezing didn`t work for me
http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=4036

The drive isnt even detected by the bios now for me and i stuck it in the freezer on the off chance, another alternative if you can convince Maxtor, is them to email you the drives firmware, so u can reflash it, however you still might loose all your data, but then you have a chance to possibly recover it with software.

Back
Top Bottom