Some electric RC car advice

Associate
OP
looking on maxamps.com

are the 4.4k 4400mah packs any good? they are only £16 for a a 6 cell shotgun pack! or would it be worth it to spend the extra pennies on a GP or IB pack with around 3000-3700mah?

im currently bidding on a LRP 10t speed controller so i my motor options are wider.

my ballraces came this morning, so i spent the morning installing those :)

Soldato
I have a TB-01 and have modded the suspension in order to get 25mm ground clearance. Its a great car and is almost indestructable. I used to use 8.4v batteries and it flew over jumps on a local BMX track, it had loads of torque as well and would climb up really steep hills. Unfortunatly 2 of the batteries brust into flames :cool: , i think it was because they were cheap packs and the wires wern't up to the job :confused: . Was smart my car was powersliding round corners with a few people watching then suddenly a load of flames appeared.

Ive ball raced it
put a Tamiya 23 turn in (apparently its the equivelent of a 19T)
Aluminium steering (ball raced also)
Long arm suspension kit £60 in shops £11 on ebay NIB lol
Aluminium drive shaft

I got everything from ebay far far below the price in model shops, some stuff came from china!.

Mark

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
looking on maxamps.com

are the 4.4k 4400mah packs any good? they are only £16 for a a 6 cell shotgun pack! or would it be worth it to spend the extra pennies on a GP or IB pack with around 3000-3700mah?

im currently bidding on a LRP 10t speed controller so i my motor options are wider.

my ballraces came this morning, so i spent the morning installing those :)

They won't be quite as good as the IB or GP's but if it's just for bashing then they will be good, not like you are going to go for mega hot wind motors.

Associate
OP
saitrix said:
They won't be quite as good as the IB or GP's but if it's just for bashing then they will be good, not like you are going to go for mega hot wind motors.

in what sense not as good? they should hold charge for a darn long time no? and give my car a bit of a speed boost?

edit: i ebayed one of these motors. they any good? i mean, i am only bashing about the park.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vita said:
Yeah, saw those, like the Silvia

rc4.jpg

Vita said:

rc2.jpg

:D

Soldato
As i posted on the previous page, if your bashing i would go for the GP cells as they are easier to look after, make sure your charger supports them as well, and isnt just a wind up timer job which could under/over charge the pack and damage them.

Now most standard batteries come with a tamiya style plug which is pretty inefficient and has quite a lot of resistance, i would recommend replacing them with deans plugs which should only cost a few quid and are much better.

As for speed controls, the lower the turn limit of the motor you use, ie a 10T limit, if you use a 19T motor then it should not get as hot as if you were using a 10T motor, but be aware not to run the car for excessive amounts of time or multiple battery packs back to back as this will place high load on the speed control and also the motor.
After running, as a guide, you should be able to hold your thumb on the motor for 3 seconds before it gets too hot and it shouldnt really smell at all.

When looking at motors the first number ie a 19 x 2 is the number of turns the wire has around the stacks of the armature (the bit inside the can which spins, the stacks are green), the lower the more RPM which is produced. The second figure is the number of strands that this wire has, generally 1 or 2 strands are used for on road, but they wind up to 6 i believe, with them being refered to as singles, doubles, triples, quads, quints and so on. A lower number of strands gives more "punch" so a higher number of strands gives a smoother feel and is easier to control and is slightly more efficient.

As a guide, if your dropping the number of turns on your motor, you also want to drop a few teeth on the pinion gear as well, otherwise you will be overgearing the motor, performance will suffer as well as the motors lifespan (as above i gear for the motor to be warm/hot after 5 minutes of racing).

When you come to installing your motor, i would recommend soldering the wires from your speed control directly to the endbell of the motor for efficiency reasons, although you could install deans or corally connectors (these are small gold bullet style plugs which are very efficient, but you could mix up the polarity, no risk with the deans) to the endbell to allow you to swap motors quickly if you wanted to. When you wire up your motor, ensure your polarity is correct, the endbell should be marked, with a + on one side (just below where it says epic).

Ball racing your car is a good first upgrade, it greatly increases the efficiency of the drivetrain, which if you are looking to upgrade your motor is the upgrade to do first, a hopped up motor would give a lot more stress on the drivetrain, and the ballraces will allow it to run a lot more smoothly and helps keep temperatures down on all your equipment.

If your looking at something else to upgrade, quicker/stronger servos are a good idea, stock servos are fairly slow and dont have much holding power, ideally you want one which will turn no matter how quick your vehicle is traveling and can hold the rotation under load. These can run pretty expensive up to £100ish but there are lots of good ones to be had around the 40-50 mark, as well as ebay or looking at importing them also.

Enjoy! :)

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
in what sense not as good? they should hold charge for a darn long time no? and give my car a bit of a speed boost?

edit: i ebayed one of these motors. they any good? i mean, i am only bashing about the park.

Won't hold voltage aswell under load. Will dip more in voltage when you ask a lot from the motor so it won't seem as 'punchy.'

Associate
Lord Pablo said:

yeh that fireball should be fine for bashing about just change the brushes every now and again and it will be fine :D

Associate
sorry for all the posts i am replying as i read, anyway as berger saidwhen you get your charger etc it may have tamiya connectors, do not use these they get really hot and then when you stop driving they cool down and melt together (well mine did anyway) so replace the tamiya connectors on your batterys and esc and if you dont want to spend a lot of money do what i have done, get two pieces of quite long wire (red and blue) and at one end put a tamiya connector and at the other put a deans connector this allows you to charge you batterys without having to change the connector :D

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
I own a Tamiya Baja King and at the mo its all stock stuff.

Im looking into getting some hop up items to help get longer runsand a bit more speed.

Can anyone suggest where to start? i.e. the cheapest hop-ups for price ratio.

Some links to good online shops and even items on the 'Bay are welcome (e-mail if ebay links arent allowed)

I meant to ask, are you having fun with it:)

Associate
OP
I havent used it much, but now im back in liverpool, im gonna take it around sefton park as its just over the road.

the times i have ran it, its ace! tough little bugger also. i took it up someones driveway, sped down it, went through their rock garden, hit a big rock, the car launched into the air, did a 360 and landed fine, sped off up the road!

thing is i left the sodding charger back in tamworth, so my mother is kindly posting it up today. its one of the big brick ansmann ones :eek:

i wanted to get 2 new battery packs, but for the price of the GP ones, i might just get 1. would my tamiya 1400mah be any good with the new motor and ESC?

(btw i ordered a Mtroniks 15t forward/reverse ESC for £22 brand new)

lastly, i was maybe thinking of getting some nicer offroad tyres then the stock ones. how do i go about finding tyres to fit my wheels? i know they will need to be 1/10th scale, but the front wheels are thinner then the rear ones and i dont know if you need to measure the width or whatnot

Associate
NO!! that battery pack is rubbish. it might last 1 min or so on a 19t motor but you need a better battery pack. As for the wheels just go into a shop and ask what wheels you need for it, but be careful as wheels can cost a lot of money (e.g monster truck wheels cost £25 for a pair, thats £50 for all four :eek: , but yours isnt a monster truck so you should get them a bit cheaper) personally i would buy new inserts not new wheels (that it if you can take the tyre off the wheels without ruining the tyre) :D

Associate
OP
ok, looks like ill have to get 2 new battery packs and maybe another small trickle charger.

GP2200 or IB3800? i know the GP's are a bit tougher, but id get more whack out of the IB's wouldnt i?

edit: or do i go for one a couple of Sanyo 2400 for £19 per, or one GP4300? decisions, decisions :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
ok, looks like ill have to get 2 new battery packs and maybe another small trickle charger.

GP2200 or IB3800? i know the GP's are a bit tougher, but id get more whack out of the IB's wouldnt i?

try vapextech www.vapextech.co.uk they also have a shop on the bay. Good batteries for the price and the cells give a good current draw.

Back
Top Bottom