keeping rats is quite addictive...

Soldato
OP
my cage, complete with a black hoodie!

cage.JPG

Associate
Very colourful! :D Do your rats like being outside then? Our brownie (lemiwinks) gets terrified when I step foot outside with her :\

Associate
Reminds me of when I had my two, Quiss and Ayaji. Used to have free roam of the house 24hrs a day, always used the cage for toilet, never chewed any cables. Used to regularly go out with them on my shoulders, hiding under my hair. Got banned from a couple of shops though. ;)

When I'd get in from work they'd come running up to the front door to greet me. Best pets in the world.

Soldato
OP
Simmy said:
Very colourful! :D Do your rats like being outside then? Our brownie (lemiwinks) gets terrified when I step foot outside with her :\

they didn't seem to mind, I had just cleaned the cage out - I use the smaller "vet" cage to keep them in and put them on the step outside so they can have some fresh air while I clean the big cage out next to them.

Soldato
hehe, our rats were awesome! Meet Gordon and Maralyn, Fudge and Podge.

Their Castle

dsc00005wm0.jpg

Gordon joining in having an ice cream
43ab0017kq9.jpg

Fudge has a look to see what's going on
pic021nm2.jpg

I loved our rats, best pets i've ever had. They know who you are, and are always really excited to see you. Love being mischevious and having fun - never hurt a fly and were just awesome. They are also highly intelligent, yes - they're small but they know what's going on and they do get bored so make sure there's plenty of things to keep them occupied when your at work for 8+ hours a day. Also, if you can't give them 2 hours a night play time with fun things to keep their brains going - then maybe a hamster is a better option. Sorry, that lecture is just for any people thinking of buying. We took Podge and fudge from someone who didn't care for them. They were both in a complete state when we got them, frightened of everything and really overweight. After a few months they loved every second of their lives. Think of rats as mini dogs!

Here's a video of our original two fighting over an ice cream tub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK8LZqvK740

Last edited:
Soldato
oooo i wnat one!!, shame i have a kittten tho: (
(not saying i dont love my kitten, hes the coolest cat ever but rats look cool, if only they would make friends....

Soldato
Yeah, I really miss our rats.

They only live up to around 4 years max really. :(

Gordon and Maralyn used to have competitions to see who could run up my arms and lick me the most. Used to grab hold of my nose with both paws and lick the end of my nose. Both pushing each other out the way, all I could see were bulging eyes bobbing around with a great big pink tounges frantically licking. :p

The rest of the time they'd sit one on each shoulder whilst I browsed the forums. :D

Last edited:
Associate
This thread brings back so many memories

We have had 4 rats all together and reading the posts just reminds me how intelligent they could be.

Have 2 dogs now but would definitely recommend a rat to anyone looking for a small animal as a pet

Would also say that between the 4 rats we had and the 4 rats by brother had we where never bitten.

Probably the best rodent pet you could get:D

Rich

Associate
rats really do rock, one of mine (hellboy) decided he wanted to try my beer last night, kept trying to stick his head in the bottle! mega cute. noticed a couple of you guys are using hay as bedding, i would look at other bedding if i was you, hay tends to promote fleas and isnt as soft for the ratties :)

Associate
nomad said:
noticed a couple of you guys are using hay as bedding, i would look at other bedding if i was you, hay tends to promote fleas and isnt as soft for the ratties :)

I always just used shredded paper from work, they always had and endless supply, it was free.

Rich

Soldato
50/50 said:
Thats utterly disgusting, Rats arn't pets they are filthy vermin.
Kill the one with red eyes with fire.

Nah sorry m8 but I love rats, not the sewer ones as they are vermin 100% but proper clean pet rats are cool as :D

I had a couple years ago and they were great. A mate of mine had a couple aswell. Too anyone who says they smell! they only smell if they arent cleaned out regular

Soldato
ive decided that when i finish uni and move out of my flat (1 year) then i'm going to get a couple. as i said a few pages back i looked after a friends and loved it to bits so kinda know what i'm letting myself in for :p

if i asked the landlord i'd probably be allowed to have some at the flat, but i dont think they would mix well with loud music and i dont want to distress or harm them with it in any way :)

Soldato
OP
another example of how rats rule...

I stupidly left the door to the baby rat's cage open last night - i went up there this morning expecting to have to hunt for them - but they had climbed through the bars into the big cage and were curled up with the older rats!

a hamster or a gerbil would have been long gone

Soldato
Hate said:
another example of how rats rule...

I stupidly left the door to the baby rat's cage open last night - i went up there this morning expecting to have to hunt for them - but they had climbed through the bars into the big cage and were curled up with the older rats!

a hamster or a gerbil would have been long gone

that is actually really awesome :D

my sisters hampster got out of its cage.. wandered down the stairs and into the living room... started to climb the curtains!!!

the only reason we found it is because the cats were both stood round it just staring at it... they didnt want to eat it or try and kill it which was nice.

Soldato
OP
ya :D

they were due to go into the big cage when they were older and big enough not to climb through the bars, they have been in the cage before with my supervision and the older rats are friendly.

but now I think i'll leave them there and trust them not to climb out - they can't get up to much mischief up there, its an attic conversion living room, so theres nowhere to go.

Back
Top Bottom