gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Flashed my DS4 to the F3b bios version on another forum. Now have it working fine at 350fsb (CAS 4 on the RAM), but it's now putting my 7800GTX into X1 PCI-Express mode.

This board is doing my skull in!

Associate
Same problem here...

I've got the DS4 with an e6600 and GSkill 6400 NR ram and I'm getting the same power on for a few seconds then reboot problem.

If I don't overclock I find that it will boot after several attempts. If I overclock it pretty much continually restarts.

I've tried the F3b beta bios but that hasn't made it any better.

I notice that the changelog for the ds3 bios states "Fix during the first POST after AC resume, system will spend 3~4 seconds to perform a power-off cycle"
which sounds exactly like the problem that we are having. I just hope that giga-byte get their act together and fix it soon as I'm very close to returning the product. :mad:

Associate
Coln said:
After lots of reports of the G-Skill HZ working ok, i RMA'd my G-Skill NR and bought the HZ which arrives tomorrow. Really hope it works cause i don't fancy another RMA :(

Well after me getting NR by mistake, (My Fault! :( ) I've just got some HZ today, and can say that it works fine. :)

Associate
Please can people who have got a DS4 board working ok post the details of the ram they are using. I've been trying to get my board working with G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 and I'm having the restart problem.

I'm thinking of changing the ram for Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 as OC have said that there is some kind of compatbility problem between G Skill RAM and the DS4.

Please help, it's been very frustrating!!!

Associate
Forget NR. I bought it by mistake. I've got spare Crucial DDR2 ram, which i used to manually set the timings, I tried loads of different timings, but hte NR just did not want to work.

The NR has since been replaced with HZ and it works fine, no problems.

Hope that helps :)

Associate
I've only read the first two pages, so refer me back to whatever page if this has been answered.

Is it deffinitely the RAM causing the problems on these boards (DS4/3) I've got a DS3 and whenever I press the power button all fans except the CPU fan spin around for a second, then it powers off and repeats the process.

Using 2 x 1Gb OCZ Value Pro 667. Also tried with just 1 stick but to no avail.

Associate
This is starting to do my head in now, I just dl the FB3 Bios for my DS4, flashed it from the bios using Q-Flash everything ok restart pc and cycles through fan on/off about 9 times evetually starts up and says I'm still running version F2, cpu-z also reports the same, I haven't got a clue what to do now I thought it was the memory but now the board won't update when being flashed - or maybe it reverted back to the original version because it wasn't starting - can it even do that? :)

I haven't bothered trying to put both sticks in as nothing has changed so I can't see it magically working now.

Associate
Scratchy said:
This is starting to do my head in now, I just dl the FB3 Bios for my DS4, flashed it from the bios using Q-Flash everything ok restart pc and cycles through fan on/off about 9 times evetually starts up and says I'm still running version F2, cpu-z also reports the same, I haven't got a clue what to do now I thought it was the memory but now the board won't update when being flashed - or maybe it reverted back to the original version because it wasn't starting - can it even do that? :)

I haven't bothered trying to put both sticks in as nothing has changed so I can't see it magically working now.

My board seems to be doing very similar things as yours, it can take upward of ~12 restarts to POST, and even though it's been upgraded to F3b it still shows F2 as the bios level.

But...mine does work with both ram sticks and when it does fire up properly, I can get mine to run at 487 FSB giving my E6300 a nice speed of 3.4Ghz. :)

Associate
ok i got the motherboard today and it worked fine with my ram. Just finished doing a fresh install now. But i can't seem to overclock it a bit...

:S

If i go to bios and change the fsb or increase the voltage to the ram or cpu it just refuses to boot. Even if its just a little bit. ><

i'm going to try the software in windows now to see if i can do anything

Associate
Happy to report that i got my G-Skill 2Gig HZ kit today and it works fine in my DS4. RMA's the NR and it goes back tomorrow (or should i keep it!)

Permabanned
Got my DS4 today and HZ memory, its working but im stuck at cas3.... :(
I can't see any newer bios available, its shipped with F2 bios, changes cas settings in bios doesnt change anything.... unless cpu-z is displaying incorrect settings.... :(

Can someone link me to bios that works, i.e able to change the cas timing.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm at 11mins and counting of having my pc run with 2gb of memory, normally it freezes after 1-3mins - god this is nerve racking :)
Maybe the bios really did update and has sorted it out - fingers crossed.

Permabanned
Scratchy said:
I'm at 11mins and counting of having my pc run with 2gb of memory, normally it freezes after 1-3mins - god this is nerve racking :)
Maybe the bios really did update and has sorted it out - fingers crossed.

which bios and where did you get it ?? :)

Associate
Bah! spoke to soon froze up after 15mins with a long beep coming from the board which according to the manual means DRAM error :(

There is a link to the bios a few pages back - it was posted on another board it's only a beta though, I expect they will release the offical one v.soon as they released a new bios for the DS3 today.

Permabanned
Well until I change the cas timing im not really comfortable overclocking to much.. as ill just end up reaching the memory limit at cas3..

edit: installed beta bios.. cas is still stuck at 3 !! ffs... is cpu-z reading this correctly? :(

Must be something im missing here...

Last edited:
Associate
mine keeps crashing....a lot..and its not overclocked!

does the @BIOS updater thing not work for anyone else? I've got to dig up a floppy drive from somewhere. Tis quiet annoying!

Does anyone else have this problem:
When you're in windows and choose reboot it goes to the post screen and freezes after it displays the ram size? Then i have to turn it off and turn it back on. I swear that earlier when i was installing programs etc i didn't have the problem!

Permabanned
Well I had a little oc, but it only reached 2.88 320x9.. increasing vcore didnt help so added some more to the memory.. then it restarted 5 times and beeped at me.. and then restart itself back to 266X9... The joys of overclocking memory at cas3... feels like im beta testing this thing.....

does it successfully save any memory settings? :eek:

Actually just noticaed its serious undervolting the memory.... its at 1.75 !!! its ment to be 2.2 looking at the specs.. so the mobo undervolts and forces use to cas3... ... LOL

Now am I safe to overvolt the memory ? Is Easytune5's memory voltage actually correct ?

Last edited:
Associate
Received this from GSkill:

Hi

Gigabyte informs us that F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR is not working with DS4. They are working on the bios now. They told us that they are going to solve very soon. This ram is working probably on their other model DS3 motherboard. They believe it is bios and motherboard problem. Since our ram only not working on DS4 only.

Thank you

GSKILL USA REP

Associate
Shocky-FM said:
Got my DS4 today and HZ memory, its working but im stuck at cas3.... :(
I can't see any newer bios available, its shipped with F2 bios, changes cas settings in bios doesnt change anything.... unless cpu-z is displaying incorrect settings.... :(

Can someone link me to bios that works, i.e able to change the cas timing.

My CPU-z thinks I am an DS3 F1 bios - I am not. I think the program must be reporting it wrong!

Back
Top Bottom