Some electric RC car advice

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
certainly cheaper. seeing as i am only bashing round the park, as long as they give me decent power and run time, i think ive found some winners :) thanks

the 3 x 3700mAh 7.2v offer is pretty good as its 15 per stick basically and I haven't found as good cells for the money.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
OP
nearly. my ESC turned up this morning so i installed that. still awaiting my motor (shipping from the US of A) and im having trouble with the batteries.

someone pointed out http://www.vapextech.co.uk/ and have apparently purchased from this site with no hassle.

Googling about, i found this website, http://www.component-shop.co.uk

they seem to sell the same packs, but cheaper. i emailed them about this and i got this reply.

Hi,
If by "official Vapex website" you mean www.vapextech.co.uk I can assure you that this is NOT an official vapex web site. This is just an individual who buys a few batteries & sells them from his house.
We are the first company to import Vapex batteries to the UK and we import a greater range, in higher volumes than anyone else. We are also the only company to have full technical support & custom build facilities for Vapex in the UK. I suppose that is why we are a little cheaper.
Also due to the level of technical support that we provide, we are always the first company with new products, and in fact there are a number of Vapex products which are exclusive to us.
We like to think that whilst our prices are keen, our service and support is unbeatable.

Best Regards,

Iain Lewis.

Now, is he telling the truth? or a load of BS? Has anyone here used this website before? I cant help but think something odd is going on, and i dont want to take the chance on this cheaper website if im gonna get screwed. I know its only a few pennies less, but it adds up for me.

p.s. i popped into the model shop in town, The Model Centre. they wanted £25 for a 3300mah. I just walked off.

p.p.s. know any good ways to mount the ESC on/off switch? i used a bit of that double sided sticky stuff i got with my kit, but its a bit crap and sadly there are not holes to screw it in.

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
Giant essay snip

Search for vapextech on ebay stores its got 18,000+ feedback for vapextech stuff rather than the online store.

I have bought from stellamodels and they are great, I got my super clodbuster off them and it came to £150 including ball racers and EMS shipping. ##Edit That 4200mah battery pack off them will require a fairly potent charger and you may have problems with the fast chargers. Stick with the UK stuff tbh.

Pop over to www.tamiyaclub.com and I think you can get a discount when you register/join.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
i have a big ansmann charger. it a trickle charger, but also has a fast charge button for smaller packs, ie my 1400mah.

it should be good for 3300 or even 4300 right?

Not necessarily you need to have a look at the rating on it. Is it one of the delta peak chargers usually £30-40. Their basic fast charger is only good for 1700mah and the better ones still only do up to 3500mah.

Associate
OP
seems its a bit of a crappy charger and only suitable to my soon to be redundant tamiya 1400mah pack.

luckily, your adivce proved worthy, i found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-2v-NiMH-370...2851081QQihZ011QQcategoryZ34063QQcmdZViewItem

how many packs do people usually have for bashing about? i mean, slow charged, roughly how much time will a 3700 give me?

are there any mid priced chargers about that will charge 2 packs at the same time?

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
seems its a bit of a crappy charger and only suitable to my soon to be redundant tamiya 1400mah pack.

luckily, your adivce proved worthy, i found thishow many packs do people usually have for bashing about? i mean, slow charged, roughly how much time will a 3700 give me?

are there any mid priced chargers about that will charge 2 packs at the same time?

You really need to buy a proper delta peak fast charger. With a 19T motor and a 3700 pack you may get 10-15 mins run time. I have 4 packs 2 x 2200 and 2 x 3000 at the moment.

Gives me 30-60 mins of play time depending on which car I am using.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
what size motors are you using?

would it be worth getting the 4300 and suitable charger? how much run time from that?

can you link me to an example of the delta peak fast charger?

thanks

Ok Run times for a 3000 pack after a full charge:

Losi 4wd belt drive 13T = 5 ish mins
Tamiya Super Clodbuster 2x27T(tamiya silver can) ballraced = 15 mins
Tamiya TL01 Focus 19T = 10 mins
Tamiya Baja King 19T = 10 mins
Midnight Pumpkin 27T (tamiya) = 20 mins
TLT-01 27T (tamiya) = 20 mins
Tamiya Blackfoot Extreme ballraced 19T = 10-15 mins (great gearing)

If I was you stick to 3300 or 3700 packs as they can be fast charged quicker and in reality there will be little difference between a 3700 and 4200.

Try http://www.goldstarstockists.com/tamiyaparts/tpx/chargers.htm

Soldato
Lord Pablo said:
non of the chargers on that link seem to do 3700's :confused:

how long would a fast charger take to charge up a 3300 or 3700?

what about trickle charging? will that make the batteries last longer?

edit: http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/r_c_chargers.html anygood?

I really wouldn't touch one of those................Not many chargers specify 3700 or over, a good 3500 charger will do it though.

The http://www.goldstarstockists.com/tamiyaparts/tpx/smartechpic/charge6.jpg should do it as fusionhobbies also list it for up to 3800.

Last edited:
Soldato
This thread is great, i wish i would have seen a thread like this a few years ago when i got my car. This is one of the main things that has stopped me using my car, rubbish batteries that give hardly any run time. I think ill get a few 3500 packs as i have a Ansman Delta peak charger ACX1 (is this charger OK?) i think it was abouit £30 and it says it does 1400 to 3500.

What could i do with all my old battery packs i have about 20 lol from 1500 to 2500, some are ansman and some are cheapo ones.

Mark

Soldato
Mark A said:
What could i do with all my old battery packs i have about 20 lol from 1500 to 2500, some are ansman and some are cheapo ones.

Mark

If they are deadish and don't hold their charge, I would recomend a modern art sculpture or A box in the loft. Local hobby store may take them off you or ebay?

Soldato
What would happen if i charged a 3700MAH battery using my Delta peak charger ACX1?, the charger says capacity range 1400-3500 but there doesnt seem to be any 3500 batteries about. So what would happen would the battery explode charger explode house explode or will the battery just charge up to 3500 and then stop?.

Sorry to hijack the thread but i thought this could also help you Lord Pablo if you decide to get a delta peak charger.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom