Sky One

Soldato
With the nature of this community, I'm sure a lot of you also enjoy the late night offerings of Stargate SG1 on Sky One.

However, I've decided that Sky One after 11pm is now my idea of hell. Why? because they have EXACTLY the same set of advertisements 4 times an hour. It goes '80333 Naughty Videos' then 'Eighties EMI Boxset' then '80333' again. As someone thoroughly interested in studying psychology, marketing and advertising, I can quite honestly say that such advertising strategies have the adverse effect. Did I also mention they have this god-damn 10 minute Startrek advert every 50 minutes too? The first time I thought it was OK, but I've now seen it around 20 times and it sucks.

To conclude, I won't be buying any "naughty videos" from 80333. Firstly, I wouldn't pay for them, and secondly anyone who actually has IMO is a complete and utter chav. I also now hold a grudge against EMI and Startrek.

I can't believe Sky let their flag ship channel be tarnished with this tripe. Stargate is good though :D

Associate
LOL i know what u mean and if u notice the adverts are really loud (well they are for me anyway for some reason)

And if somebody walks past your room or whatever and hears "DIRTY DEBBIE FROM BLACKPOOL" (yes i can remember that) its an embaressment!

Soldato
OP
reflex said:
LOL i know what u mean and if u notice the adverts are really loud (well they are for me anyway for some reason)

And if somebody walks past your room or whatever and hears "DIRTY DEBBIE FROM BLACKPOOL" (yes i can remember that) its an embaressment!

She doesn't even say it seductively either.

It's just like a robot saying "or watch our naugthy sharon get hot under the covers."

Who the hell would buy that rubbish anyway. Who would pay £5 for a crappy pixelated video on their phone. Another company kept in buisness by Britain's peasant underclass.

Soldato
OP
whitecrook said:
This is one of the main reasons I refuse to pay for Sky. Who wants to pay 30-40 quid a month at least just to watch adverts. Gah

I wouldn't mind but they are horrible, horrible adverts. They look like they were made by a 10 year old using his £9.99 Tyco Toys 'R' Us "Fun Cam"

Associate
Tommy B said:
It goes '80333 Naughty Videos' then 'Eighties EMI Boxset' then '80333' again....such advertising strategies have the adverse effect.

Really? They managed to get you to remember the names and the phone number! Even though you are not interested, the power of such strategies on someone who is interested must be awesome.

But yes, for most people they are extremely annoying. I remember when MTV2 used to be an alternative channel before 5 ringtone adverts were placed between each video. :(

Soldato
OP
Bumhucker said:
Really? They managed to get you to remember the names and the phone number! Even though you are not interested, the power of such strategies on someone who is interested must be awesome.

But yes, for most people they are extremely annoying. I remember when MTV2 used to be an alternative channel before 5 ringtone adverts were placed between each video. :(

I've been watching the late night episodes of stargate for about 4 months now. I must have seen that advert over a 100 times.

axe

axe

Suspended
i know what you mean. I would prefer to have more of the history of star trek, which they have on between sg1 1st episode of the night and the 2nd.

axe

axe

Suspended
yeh but you would need to recorde them to FF and seems there just repeats from earlyer in the day and your recording .. what the point in watching them at that time?

Soldato
I dont always get to see them at 4pm so I rely on the repeats later on. I too am sick of the adverts. I normally wander off and make a brew or browse the forum a little on my laptop.

Be great if after midnight there were no ads or at least kept to a minimum. Actually, after 1am I think adverts a pretty quick - at least during ST: TNG

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
I don't believe this.

They've changed that 80s collection to a bloody romance collection and the advert is about 3 times as long.

On other news, that Startrek advert is now driving me crazy. Why the hell is it in between SG1. I like SG1, not Startrek. That advert really does annoy me; it's not even funny, just sad and pathetic, and it lasts ten whole minutes :(

Honestly. At least they've got rid of the 80333 advert :)

Associate
reflex said:

All channels are like that late at night - the adverts are at a much louder volume so that if you start falling asleep the ad wakes you up (and the advertisers hope) you pay attention to it.

I remeber reading about on a wite a while ago, how they can pay extra to have the volume turned up etc (ie volume setting on the TV one max a differnce as the ad pays at twice the volume of the actual programs and is set via the channel.

Soldato
It's actually illegal for them to do that, Channel Five got heavily fined for it, it can be hard to proove though so they can get away with turning the volume up a couple of notches but it does make a difference.

Soldato
OP
Spinal2k2 said:
All channels are like that late at night - the adverts are at a much louder volume so that if you start falling asleep the ad wakes you up (and the advertisers hope) you pay attention to it.

I remeber reading about on a wite a while ago, how they can pay extra to have the volume turned up etc (ie volume setting on the TV one max a differnce as the ad pays at twice the volume of the actual programs and is set via the channel.

Wake me up. It wakes the whole bloody house up and it's annoying.

There I am watching SG1, and someone will kick my door down and tell me to turn it the **** down. Sounds funny, but at 2am it's not!

Caporegime
Whats the point in adverts when they just put people off the product? Companies must waste millions in tv advertising only for no one to buy their products, idiots.

Associate
Tommy B said:
Wake me up. It wakes the whole bloody house up and it's annoying.

There I am watching SG1, and someone will kick my door down and tell me to turn it the **** down. Sounds funny, but at 2am it's not!

ive had the same thing happen, few times when i haevnt been able to sleep, so i watch a bit of tv with the volume at a level just so i can hear it, till i start feeling tired, then the ads come on a wake the whole street up.

Man of Honour
Energize said:
Whats the point in adverts when they just put people off the product? Companies must waste millions in tv advertising only for no one to buy their products, idiots.
Exactly, I'd be suprised if anyone buys frosties anymore. I have boycotted them.

Soldato
OP
Energize said:
Whats the point in adverts when they just put people off the product? Companies must waste millions in tv advertising only for no one to buy their products as they get so ***** off with the advert.

They put people off if they are shown too much.

I am not kidding mate, Sky One had shown the 80333 advert and the 80s CD collection over a thousand times in the last month. Result; there is no way in hell I'd EVER buy either product.

And my plan in life is Psychology at uni followed by advertising as my career! I wouldn't have a problem with the adverts, but they really are naff. If an advert is clever, well thought-out or funny, it is a good advert. Having some **** tell me how amazing the romance CD collection is for £40 is not!

Associate
With the exception of Thursday(Deadwood) and Friday (Las Vegas) skyone gets turned off at 6pm.

I am now absolutely sick to death of it and the constant re-re-re-re-re…..re-re-repeats.

Lets face it, Sky one is now kept afloat by Stargate SG1/Atlantus and the joke the Simpson’s has become.

Back
Top Bottom