Some electric RC car advice

Soldato
Mark A said:
What would happen if i charged a 3700MAH battery using my Delta peak charger ACX1?, the charger says capacity range 1400-3500 but there doesnt seem to be any 3500 batteries about. So what would happen would the battery explode charger explode house explode or will the battery just charge up to 3500 and then stop?.

Sorry to hijack the thread but i thought this could also help you Lord Pablo if you decide to get a delta peak charger.

Mark

It will not damage the cells at all. It will just take slightly longer to charge.

Soldato
Cheers for that I'll get the 3700s then.

Are there any drawbacks from using 8.4v batteries?. I used some before and my car flew, it gives a pretty big boost in performance, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people using them. My packs burst into flames as i mentioned before but this was because they were cheap packs from ebay (powertech) and i believe it was the wires that started the fire. My esc supports 8.4v my charger supports 8.4v and i believe my motor does too so i may just get an 8.4v when i order the 7.4v packs just to see if it burns like the others :D .

Mark

Soldato
Motors do wear quicker with using the higher voltage, this is because the overall amp's it will pull increases due to the higher voltage in the motor. So you will get less runtime with 7 cell than 6 but in my opinion it is worth it. I do the same in my little 1/18 RC18T.

One reason lots of people don't use it is either lack of space in the chassis or they race where 7 cell parks are not allowed.

Soldato
Mark A said:
Cheers for that I'll get the 3700s then.

Are there any drawbacks from using 8.4v batteries?. I used some before and my car flew, it gives a pretty big boost in performance, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people using them. My packs burst into flames as i mentioned before but this was because they were cheap packs from ebay (powertech) and i believe it was the wires that started the fire. My esc supports 8.4v my charger supports 8.4v and i believe my motor does too so i may just get an 8.4v when i order the 7.4v packs just to see if it burns like the others :D .

Mark

Er you need to check the size of the batteries some of the 8.4v have an extra cell in them making them too bog to fit into a standard battery compartment.

Suspended
I'm the housemate of the OP, and had to get up at an ungodly hour this morning to allow the postman to deliver a charger. He didn't even move. Thanks Paul! :mad: :p

Last edited:
Soldato
mrk1@1 said:
Er you need to check the size of the batteries some of the 8.4v have an extra cell in them making them too bog to fit into a standard battery compartment.

All 8.4v battery packs are 7 cell, that's how you change the voltage.

MasterMike, If I was you I'd charge them up and use them.

Soldato
mrk1@1 said:
Yeah i have a TB-01 which is like a flat bed type car so i can fit a 7 cell battery in easy, just have to secure the battery with some velcro tape :) .

Associate
Lord Pablo said:
p.s. i popped into the model shop in town, The Model Centre. they wanted £25 for a 3300mah. I just walked off.

p.p.s. know any good ways to mount the ESC on/off switch? i used a bit of that double sided sticky stuff i got with my kit, but its a bit crap and sadly there are not holes to screw it in.

£25-£30 is the going rate for a good 3300Mah battery, and i forgot to tell you but make sure your esc has a fail-safe built into it if not then buy one. What this does is when/if your car goes out of range normally the motor will just keep going and the car will run off but if it has a fail-safe then the fail-safe will keep the car stationary while it is out of range.

what i did to put the on/off switch in is file a part of the chassis out just big enough for the on/off switch to go in and it shouldnt fall out :D

Associate
i have just googled your car looks quite good mate. The chassis looks abit like the tamiya TL-01. Anyway i have thought of a few places where you can put your on/off switch. The blue arrows point to where you could force it down and it would be secure and the red circle it around the servo and you could stick it there :D

8f170240.jpg

Soldato
comp builder said:
i have just googled your car looks quite good mate. The chassis looks abit like the tamiya TL-01. Anyway i have thought of a few places where you can put your on/off switch. The blue arrows point to where you could force it down and it would be secure and the red circle it around the servo and you could stick it there :D
That is the TL-01 chassis, but with longer suspension arms. Its a good begginer chassis and can be a good handler with some oil shocks. IIRC there is a designated area to put the on/off switch with 2 holes allready in place.

£25-£30 is the going rate for a good 3300Mah battery

So does this mean that the Vapex batteries @ £15 mentioned in this thread wont be any good?, i was going to get a few next week.

Mark

Associate
OP
Mark A said:
So does this mean that the Vapex batteries @ £15 mentioned in this thread wont be any good?, i was going to get a few next week.

I was also going to purchase some of these. i reckon they would be ok though. they have been mentioned as decent on this thread before hand.

Soldato
These Vapex batteries will be absolutely fine. The cost of cells is relatively cheap tbh. Go to a hobby store and they may charge £30 for a pack which in reality is worth a fraction of that, most of this will be their mark up. For example last year hoby stores sold 2200 packs for £30 and 3000 packs for £40. My local hobby store was £22 per 3000 pack in one store and £35 in another and vapex were £15 for 3300 packs.

Its not like your in competition where matched cells will make a difference.

The Vapextech batteries will be fine so don't worry specially for bashing around.

Associate
Mark A said:
That is the TL-01 chassis, but with longer suspension arms. Its a good begginer chassis and can be a good handler with some oil shocks. IIRC there is a designated area to put the on/off switch with 2 holes allready in place.

i thought it looked a lot like the TL-01 :D i hated mine, i took it indoor carpet racing and it rolled on every corner (probably mainly because it had no oil shocks :D )

im not saying the vapex batts will be no good (although i dont know wether they are good or not as i have never had any from there) all im saying is that is the how much most hobby shops will charge :D

i personally think that paying abit extra for your batterys from a hobby shop is worth it because 1. you dont have to give any credit card details to hobby shops 2. you take it straight from the shop but on the internet it could get lost in the post :D

Soldato
Cheers, ive ordered a 7.2 3700 from ebay just to test it out and make sure it works OK before i get a few.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=18824

This is the motor i have in my car at the minuite, it says its 23 turn which is quite low but it also says that its 27,500RPM. Is this motor similar in speed to a 19t motor?. Would it be worthwhile getting a 19t motor to replace this one?.

Mark

Associate
OP
the Venom 19T i ordered off the Bay are available for around £10-15 on normal web shops (got it for £11.25 in total inc p&p off the Bay i think)

its meant to be a decent bashing motor.

gotta order me a few 3700's and the ansmann acx2 peak charger at some point

Soldato
But the thing is its a 23 turn but its also 27,500 rpm which im guessing is as fast as a 19 turn?. Anyone know the rpm of a 19t motor?. They retail at £40 so they cant be too shabby, i dont want to replace it with a £40 19t if it wont make any difference to the speed.

My ESC is a Novak XRS Reversible Sport and can go down to a 15t but torque is also important as ive modded the car for off road :) . I think what ill do is use this tamiya motor i have with an 8.4v battery and gear it for more torque and see what happens.

Mark

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good fast 19t motor for bashing?. Ideally cheap but good quality and fast if such a motor exists. I was looking at the Trinity chameleon 2 or the komodo dragon, any good?.

Ohh i got my 3700 7.2v battery from vapextech and it charged in only 1.30 hours :eek: , i was expecting it to take ages. Ive not had a chance to try it out yet though as its pouring it down outside.

Mark

Soldato
Either of those two motors would be fine, just make sure your gearing is pretty close and dont run them for excessive amounts of time as that will kill the motor.

Over time the brushes which carry the power to the commutor will wear down and the comm will need cutting, you local hobby shop or someone at the track will probably have a lathe to cut the comm for you, and brushes are about £3 a pair, i imagine the LFS would charge 5-10 for a complete rebuild service, at the track id do it for a can of drink or nowt as i know what its like starting off :)

If anyones really bothered ill do a motor rebuild guide :)

Back
Top Bottom