Making a projector screen

Soldato
Hi, sorry if this sounds ludicrous, but is it possible to make a projector screen out of a bunch of neatly-taped-together pieces of A4?!

My dad has a projector downstairs but the screen that it projects on to is fastened firmly (no chance of moving :( ) onto the wall. Rather than go and buy one just for a weekend I was thinking of simply lining up some A4 paper, sticking it together from behind and then layering it up a couple of times so that you couldn't see through it.

Thoughts? Am I a loon for contemplating it? I'm not interested that much in the picture quality, only that it serves as a better projector screen than the orange hideous wallpaper that asphyxiates the walls of my room.

Thanks. :p

FNG

FNG

Associate
For a quick DIY screen the most accepted approach in the DIY community is blackout cloth stretched acorss a wooden frame. Yuo can get it from paces like this http://www.dunelm-mill.com/. Make sure you get the white one http://www.dunelm-mill.com/DunElmSite/product/305.htm.

There are big forums all over the place about this, but the conclusion is nealry always the same. Another thing that is quite popular is paint mixes that perfrom a good job. However, these are nearly always American based paints and require spaying and for a weekend is proably a little too much :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I use a blackout blind too at the moment, no issues at all.

For a really quick fix i guess a sheet would do, i wouldnt use A4, you will have shiney bits all over it, or if taped from the other side you will have lines everywhere :p

Soldato
lol im using 2 of the ikea blackout blinds, a 160cm one and a 120cm one (depending on which way i have my room)

they do work suprisingly well, though obviously nothing compared to a proper projector screen, does the job for very little cost

Associate
My mate just made a screen out of sheets of white laminated ply board (like the stuff you'd get on the back of an Ikea chest of draws). Looks superb and all for 10 quid.

Back
Top Bottom