might have written off my car

Caporegime
just as things starting to get better, had my suspension done and sorted over weeked. i end up rear ending someone who was driving a mondeo. few scratches on his bumper it seemed, but then i get a call from his company (comp car) that he went into the car in front which had a rear a towbar and could = knackered intercooler/rad on the mondeo, so could be claiming on me.

if he claims ive a feeling insurance might write me off, as i have a smashed up front bumper, lights, and wing needs pulling in a little. i would do it pr9ivately, but i might not have a choice if he does claim which is looking likely now.

so im a bit :/ at the moment. happened this morning on way to work. so gutted

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Samtheman1k said:
I would comment, but can't understand your post! :confused:

Eh? Not that hard to follow:

Had his suspension sorted at the weekend, but he's ran into the back of a Mondeo. He only scratched the guy's rear bumper, but apparently the Mondeo was knocked into another car which had a towbar fitted, and that has done some damage. Mondeo driver will almost certainly be claiming against Nickg's insurance for that.

Nickg is now worried that his car will be written off.

So remind me again, how was his post hard to understand? :p

Soldato
Nickg said:
lol, ive just editied the grammar and added a few words to make it more comprehensable, pleae bear with me still a little shaken from the events!

understandable mate, my grammer isn't the best, but I understood it ok! whats your car? make sure you fight for the highest value you can for yours (if your fully comp).
Unlucky mate, these things happen!

Caporegime
OP
its a 99 primera GT, prolly not worth that much now, which is why i think they may write it off. im hoping they dont because i have just spotted a new bumper for 90 squid on ebay, and could prolly get it sorted for a few hundred quid, but insurance jobs are notoriously overprices so it might cost too much for them to decide to do it, and just pay me out instead.

but i want my car lol.

anyway not happy. prolly end up being my fault on insurance front and ill get screwed over:(

Associate
Nickg said:
anyway not happy. prolly end up being my fault on insurance front and ill get screwed over:(

Much as I can seriously sympathise with your incident, it will almost certainly be your fault, as you rear ended the the car in front. Your insurance on the otherhand will not 'screw you over', what they will do is, remove all or some of your no claims bonus, as a claim will be made (the norm I guess) and increase your premium as you would not be deemed a higher risk than previously as you have had a fault accident.

Lets hope the mondeo in front has less damage than you imagine.

Soldato
You don't have to claim and can fix it up yourself. The person you hit can claim from your insurance though, obviously.

Also if you don't claim on your insurance you may be likely to keep your NCB, I didn't expect it to happen, but in I was in the exact same situation last year and i haven't lost any NCB (not even mine to lose :o).

So if it's cheap for you to fix and it was your fault, take the blame don't claim and fix it up yourself :).

Associate
LeperousDust said:
You don't have to claim and can fix it up yourself. The person you hit can claim from your insurance though, obviously.

Also if you don't claim on your insurance you may be likely to keep your NCB, I didn't expect it to happen, but in I was in the exact same situation last year and i haven't lost any NCB (not even mine to lose :o).

So if it's cheap for you to fix and it was your fault, take the blame don't claim and fix it up yourself :).

But if the other driver claims on his insurance, then he's already lost his NCB (unless it's protected), so might as well claim for his own repairs as surely it will be classed as a single claim?

Soldato
Samtheman1k said:
But if the other driver claims on his insurance, then he's already lost his NCB (unless it's protected), so might as well claim for his own repairs as surely it will be classed as a single claim?
As i said i've got no idea how it worked, i'm scared to ask in case they've made a mistake :p. But I (well my mum =/) still has all her no claims, after i technically wrote the car off rear ending someone into someone else in front.

I/we didn't claim at all, and i just sourced new (well breakers) front aesthetics for the car, and a new nearside wing too.

Caporegime
OP
yea this is something i need to work out

i have just taken it to an accident repair place and they are getting a quote price for me of how much its going to cost to get it done, with 2nd hand parts.

if the cost is more than £500 then i will have to claim it on my insurance as well.

if not i may as well pay the diff myself, but my "voluntary" excess is £450 in itself, so whatever the weather im looking at an expensive month!

its going to depend on whether the loss of my 2 years (not protected) no claims will cost me more than to have it fixed myself (if indeed i could keep the ncb if the other guy claims on me!)

Associate
Nickg said:
yea this is something i need to work out

i have just taken it to an accident repair place and they are getting a quote price for me of how much its going to cost to get it done, with 2nd hand parts.

if the cost is more than £500 then i will have to claim it on my insurance as well.

if not i may as well pay the diff myself, but my "voluntary" excess is £450 in itself, so whatever the weather im looking at an expensive month!

its going to depend on whether the loss of my 2 years (not protected) no claims will cost me more than to have it fixed myself (if indeed i could keep the ncb if the other guy claims on me!)

Have you contacted your insurance company yet? I have a feeling you will lose your NCB regardless as to wether you claim for your car or not, as the 3rd party mondeo will almost certainly claim against you.
This certainly is going to be quite an expensive month for you, and your next premium will be increased as well.

Associate
FakeSnake said:
I have a feeling you will lose your NCB regardless as to wether you claim for your car or not, as the 3rd party mondeo will almost certainly claim against you.

That's what I meant by my post. The third party will claim, so you'll lose your NCB anyway, so you might aswell claim for your car too.

If you don't claim, you won't lose your NCB AFAIK, but your premium will increase nethertheless.

Caporegime
OP
hi, just got a call from the mondeo guy.

he is looking at a £615 bill to fix his apparently;

new bumper, £125
new intercooler, £122
front grill ( :rolleyes: ) £15
paint and labour £200+

+ VAT.

i doubt mine will be coming in Much less than that, maybe 500. so ive either got to fork out privately, or take the hit on my insurance and claim the lot off it?

id lose 2 years NCB ive accrued so far, and i have a 450 excess. which is the bets way to go here?

Soldato
Take the worst case scenario that yours costs £500 to fix so thats £1115 in total out of your pocket.

If you claim then thats £450 excess, not sure how old you are nick but if your under 25 you will probably have a young driver excess. Then you need to factor in your insurace increase for one year with 0 NCB and 1 year with 1 yr NCB. I can't remember the percentages but I think 2 years NCB is about 30%? So you'll have to do the maths based on your insurance premium. This is all assuming your fully comp of course.

Soldato
Nickg said:
few scratches on his bumper it seemed, but then i get a call from his company (comp car) that he went into the car in front which had a rear a towbar and could = knackered intercooler/rad on the mondeo, so could be claiming on me.

Um, how come you didn't notice that he went into the car in front? :confused:

Didn't you get out after the accident and inspect the damage etc?

Caporegime
OP
hi lordrobes i am fully comp, on mine, im currently 23, but i dont have an additional excess it seems looking at my docs. i have to pay £400 and thats it sorted. + i get a courtesy car which may swing it.

i am trying to work out my next years premium on admiral website, but im not sure if on the start i should enter the 2 years ncb i had, and then it deducts this from the total when i add my claim in there and state that my NCB was lost. or whether u start with zero ncb and then add the accident in on top,

well we both checked the front and he didnt seem to have any damage, he deffo hit the car in front, and his towbar did the damage (other guy stopped but had nowt wrong so didnt wait around and left us to swap details)

Pug

Pug

Soldato
well, if you BOTH checked the front and there was no visible damage, why on earth would he need a new bumper and grill??

You'd notice the damage to these if the intercooler was hit hard enough to sustain damage i'd have thought...

Caporegime
OP
i know, i dont know whether to contest it really.

its the rear bumper he is having done though. although tbh, from first impressions it wasnt really a full new bumper job. but company car etc means they arent too bothered about getting it done on the cheap i guess, they just want it fixed quick.

the insurance premiums dont look to good with a claim though, ive run a few quotes and they all seem to come out 100% at least more exp than im currently paying, which is a lot on top of my current £800!

Back
Top Bottom