Graphics Block cooling flushness question

Associate
Hello everyone,

I originally posted this in the graphics section, but seeing as I didn't get a reply and its now fallen onto the deathly quiet page 2, I thought I'd give it another whirl in the cooling bit. My apologies if you've already read it!

I've got a nice shiny new DangerDen TYEE water block to go on an ATI X1900XT-X which I'm shortly about to order. However looking in the box, I see no heat pads for the memory pads, which I was expecting to ensure the memory sits in contact with the block.

The underside of the block comprises of two levels, a recessed area for the GPU, and a slightly raised (guestimate around 2mm raise) around the edge where I would expect the memory modules to sit.

Could anyone tell me please - has this block been machined such that its in contact with all the memory and GPU at the same time? I'm a bit concerned that all the chips on a reference design board are that accurately at the same level, such that without the extra mm or so a squishy heat pad give you ensures a contact. Should I play it safe and squash in some thermal pads (such as Akasa ShinEtsu Thermal Interface Pads)? Or just use artic silver on the GPU and hope the memory sits sufficiently flush with the GPU?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Don
Tumbletop said:
Hello everyone,

I originally posted this in the graphics section, but seeing as I didn't get a reply and its now fallen onto the deathly quiet page 2, I thought I'd give it another whirl in the cooling bit. My apologies if you've already read it!

I've got a nice shiny new DangerDen TYEE water block to go on an ATI X1900XT-X which I'm shortly about to order. However looking in the box, I see no heat pads for the memory pads, which I was expecting to ensure the memory sits in contact with the block.

The underside of the block comprises of two levels, a recessed area for the GPU, and a slightly raised (guestimate around 2mm raise) around the edge where I would expect the memory modules to sit.

Could anyone tell me please - has this block been machined such that its in contact with all the memory and GPU at the same time? I'm a bit concerned that all the chips on a reference design board are that accurately at the same level, such that without the extra mm or so a squishy heat pad give you ensures a contact. Should I play it safe and squash in some thermal pads (such as Akasa ShinEtsu Thermal Interface Pads)? Or just use artic silver on the GPU and hope the memory sits sufficiently flush with the GPU?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I have it, and yes it dies sut right :) I would just use artic silver :)

Stelly

Back
Top Bottom