Please help me choose conroe mobo (single graphics card)

Soldato
I have been looking for days now and narrowed my search down to three

Asus PW5
Gigabyte DS4
Gigabyte DQ6

I won't be going crossfire as I can't afford another card, and I'll probably sell my x1900 and get the new one next year.

I liked the wifi on the asus as my router is downstairs but heard the 965 is a newer chipset

I also read on extremesforums that the 975 was better

ARGH!

Can someone please tell me which one to buy lol

Thanks!

Associate
If you want wifi and the 965 chipset then you should also consider the Asus P5B Deluxe.

Not sure about which is better for overclocking, the 975 certainly was slightly better but with recent bios upgrades the 965 might be catching up. Asus have just released a new bios for the P5B which has raised the max FSB to 650.

Caporegime
P5W DH is a good mobo clocks nicely and has a fantastic feature set.

The 6300 and 6400 overclock better on the 965 chipset.

The E6600's overclock better on the 975X chipset.

Associate
The newest chipset for the Conroe is the 975X, preceeded by the 965. There are also mobos that use the 945P chipset for Conroe.

Asrock ConroeXfire-eSATA2 is very cheap and provides excellent performance comparisons. Perhaps a tiny bit slower than the Asus PW5, but also half the price. Can also be remedied to a degree by overclocking.

Another good option is the Gigabyte DS3. There's a thread on the forum about it somewhere. Offers very good overclocking capabilities up to 500Mhz FSB in extremem cases. Howeve, for standard overclocking, it also proves to be very reliable by all accounts. Again, a good performer for the price.

Caporegime
Fatfish said:
The newest chipset for the Conroe is the 975X, preceeded by the 965. There are also mobos that use the 945P chipset for Conroe.

Asrock ConroeXfire-eSATA2 is very cheap and provides excellent performance comparisons. Perhaps a tiny bit slower than the Asus PW5, but also half the price. Can also be remedied to a degree by overclocking.

The ConroeXfire-eSATA2 is not a good clocker and the conore needs to be overclocked.

Associate
The two reviews I've read (since this one was recommended to me) say otherwise - but I'll bow to your argument as you have been around these forums a bit longer than I have.

Actually, from memory, the reviews said it was good providing you didn't want to breach the 333Mhz FSB barrier as it's locked above that setting. There are however pencil/solder mods if you really wanted to increase it past that. So not particularly friendly for hardcore/extreme OC'ers and enthusiasts, but easily enough for most users looking to safely squeeze an extra bit of juice out of it. So, :p

:D ;)

Caporegime
Fatfish said:
The two reviews I've read (since this one was recommended to me) say otherwise - but I'll bow to your argument as you have been around these forums a bit longer than I have.

Actually, from memory, the reviews said it was good providing you didn't want to breach the 333Mhz FSB barrier as it's locked above that setting. There are however pencil/solder mods if you really wanted to increase it past that. So not particularly friendly for hardcore/extreme OC'ers and enthusiasts, but easily enough for most users looking to safely squeeze an extra bit of juice out of it. So, :p

:D ;)

Even if the 333FSB could be reached,And have yet to see this with 300 FSB being the max.

That would give a small overclock.

on a 6300 7 x 333 is 2.3 ghz

Considering that most 6300 can do 3.2ghz with ease the mobo is limited if wanting to overclock.

Back
Top Bottom